I Forge Iron

Heavy Eqt welder ? = Help

I am looking for some welding Info on a job that mite hit my door step this week

Eqt - Link Belt LG Track Ho - Hyd Cylinder yoke repair = build up than machine back out - machine work done by other shop

I am just welding the piece

Weld Job - yoke piece take's a 4" pin that has worn into yoke by 3/8" or so = egg shape = build up -

*** yoke is said @ this point to be 4140 ??? I don't know -- cill is 6' L

my ?? is what type of proper arc rod to use ?? first thought is 7018 or 110-18 ?  any Ideas out there

I also have mig & Tig full welding shop tools

** other ? will this need to be re-heat treated ? later after machining 

STEVE'S Welding & Fab & Blacksmithing

THANKS for any input on this :)

If I were you I'd try to get a suggested procedure from Link Belt-->  As this looks to be a critical application.     Since the piece is an alloy that would be classified as a medium steel alloy heat treatment may be absolutely required.. 

Note I'm not a welder except for my own stuff just an interested observer.  I did look at the Lincoln  reference books  and realized that it is not a simple job.  The preheat for 4140 in the Lincoln Arc welding book is 600 deg F with interpass 700deg F  for 1-2 inch sections.

I forgot to say that Lincoln mentions a rod designated as 7010-A1  I not familiar with that rod at all.

They recommend in plate that a rod with similar strength to base is recommended so 7018-A1 could be used as well

Ditto Charlotte! Iforge isn't the place to be asking this question. That is a critical repair and unless you carry hugely stupid insurance you can NOT afford to guess. Were it my shop I'd be tempted to send it to a shop equipped and trained to do it. If after reading the specs and procedures you feel competent to do it then follow those procedures.

However I suppose if I were asked to go do a field repair so the owners could get it out of a hole and back to town for a shop repair I might MIGHT go on out and scab it together enough to get it on a low boy.

Frosty The Lucky.

As stated, contact Link Belt and ask for their recommendations. They know the metal and what procedures to use.

There are times when you need to pass on a job, or sub it out to others. This is not to say you can not do the job, just a comment in passing that you may want to consider.

We use arctech 223 rod at the shop.  Basically a 7018 rod.  Bbuild up,  either cylindrical stone on the angle grinder or a carbide burr in the die grinder and a finish smooth up with a flap wheel in the die grinder.  Just spent a few days doing all the grapple pins for the track loader  (322 hoe with an Imac head).  When the guy came in to line bore the articulation for the 545 skidder much the same process  just had the tooling to machine it out just so.  And as far as I know the few rod ends we have sent to a local machine shop have only been welded and then re bored. Most often a new end is made and just welded on.  No heat treats involved.  But If you have doubts the dealership is  phone call away.

Thanks all for the good input = info ! I am still waiting for pics of this job to see ? the cill is 45 min up the road

& I think off the Ho ? it needs to get here IF? I do repair ?

Charlotte Frosty Glen Yes Link Belt is on my calling card but I need more info on this job first ?

welding wise I Don't guess :) I do home work & test weld pieces that keeps me away from problems mostly

& when the other welders here say it Can't be welded seams like I end up with it- B) LOL then I get to say WHAT / WHY :o

then I weld it right !! I enjoy welding & am very good @ it I have a talent for welding & a love for it & I think outa the box !

talking to machinist today yoke was the wrong term 4" pin boss by 6" tc - cill end needs rework & is under compression only arm cill so the old egg shape worn out pin bushing thing just a bit bigger not something I do often - back ho / farm tractors / cats yes

yea been there !  have 2 to deal with after summer cutting ? Why do farmers wait till the pin falls out in the field & then run it through the machine ?????????????   YEP Summer is here LOL !

when I see a pic will post it Thanks folks this is on going @ this point

Glen I know when to say NO ! :D not there yet ?

7010 rings a bell & I think ? I have some lol will ck ! I have many kinds of rods here most I don't use but I can try & see how they work & then apply to a job as needed - just my tig rods most shop don't have or know of :wub:

Steve's Welding

when the guys that do my line boring upgraded their bore welder to the new variable step technology from a crappy spiral welder I stopped welding the bores myself, it's not worth the extra time and effort (and cost). The machine also does skip welds and segment welds and calculates all the welding speeds for them.

They run a full mobile shop with thermal lances and everything, so I dont have to chop the worn pins out. they carry 8-10 types of wire including nickel-bronze and inconel and if I can work in with some other businesses we share the travel costs, they usually visit our region once or twice a year.