I Forge Iron

Hold Fast

VaughnT

It works!

I had a bear of a time trying to get a square corner on the thing, but that's how the cookie crumbles.  It's functional and has a nice line to it, so I'm happy.  The next one is going to be a bit heavier in the arm cross section.  I might just weld on a piece of leaf spring if I have any left.

A good bit of exercise.  Now to make some more......

IMG_4036.thumb.JPG.bce5a9d0f95ceb0126750

IMG_4037.thumb.JPG.2707f1ce91f8578609c90

Here's the one I threw together a while back. Like so many things meant to be replaced later, it's still going strong.

(One detail: make sure the underside where the holdfast touches your workpiece is smooth. Any burrs or ridges can really mess up a finished surface. Don't ask me how I know this.)

IMG_20160102_221755081.jpg

26 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Have you looked at the woodwright tv series? One episode is  Peter Ross forging diferent holdfasts.

Video: http://www.thirteen.org/programs/the-woodwrights-shop/forging-the-hold-fast/.

Watching Peter Ross work is always a pleasure.  I've often thought he should have his own show, but the folks at PBS won't listen to me.

Now that I have a proper bottom swage, I'm hoping the next ones come out better.  I'm a huge fan of that square corner.... just wish the steel would cooperate with me!IMG_3792.thumb.jpg.3f9c8cd074468bb2fd0ec

Kevin, that hammer is a mystery.  She weighs in at 4lb with the handle.  I've only ever seen two others like it; one was a 7lb sledge and the other looked to be around 2lb, and both were only in photos.  I have searched the interwebz high and low, but only found those two.  The owner of the sledge found it in Kansas, I believe, and wouldn't part with it.  The small rounding hammer was for sale on eBay by a fellow in Canada.... and the price went far too high for my tastes.

Like you, I really like the lines of the hammer.  It's obviously mass-produced, but there are no visible maker's marks on it.  The surface is in really good condition, with no pitting or the like, so you'd imagine that someone would put a mark on it.  I can only surmise that the hammer is old enough to have been made before logo stamping was SOP.  Neither of the other two hammers had markings.

It's by far my most favorite hammer.  I put it on a cut down sledgehammer handle for comfort and controllability, and she's my main hammer in the shop.

If anyone sees a hammer like this at a garage sale or the like, feel free to let me know.  I'd love to get a few more of the in different weights just because I can.

I doubt it predates logos totally as that goes a goodly way back; I've got some pre ACW tools with stamped logos.  I've got one in a "hand hammer size" a bit like that it would be a rounding hammer save that both faces are flat and were made that way.  I am sorry but I won't turn loose of it either.