I Forge Iron

Hello from SE Texas

My name is Chuck

I've been fiddling with blacksmithing for a year or so now, so very new.  I picked up a Kohlswa anvil at a fleamarket and build me a food fired forge to tinker with.  I have made a few little things in the process of learning how metal moves.  Found this forum while researching propane forges and have been hooked on all the info here.

Thanks for having me.

Welcome aboard Chuck, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location i the header you might be surprised how many IFI members live within visiting distance. Putting it in the subject line of ONE post isn't going to stick in anybody's memory once we open another message.

You've got yourself a top shelf anvil provided it isn't from a period of time when the heat treat was off. It's really hard to find better than a cast Swedish steel anvil.

You have a "food fired forge"? Corn?

We like pictures too, projects, tools, equipment, shop, dogs, kids, scenery, well most anything you'd show a 9 yr old.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

It's really hard to find better than a cast Swedish steel anvil.

Frosty's trying to make you feel better. Truth is, there's nothing better than an early 19th century English wrought iron anvil, preferably a Mousehole. It's what the Swedish anvils want to be when they grow up.

Seriously, welcome to IFI. Enjoy the addiction!

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

Frosty's trying to make you feel better. Truth is, there's nothing better than an early 19th century English wrought iron anvil, preferably a Mousehole. It's what the Swedish anvils want to be when they grow up.

Seriously, welcome to IFI. Enjoy the addiction!

Envy rears it's ugly head but I suppose if all you can find is pre-Bessemer low tech you gotta do something to buck up your spirits. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put your locotion into google maps, muddawgchuck and I see that your not to far from me, nice to see another "local".

Littleblacksmith