I Forge Iron

S7 striking anvil WIP

14 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Very interesting. Thanks for spelling out your thought process for us. 

(By the way, I think you meant "memorize". I tried mesmerizing my own anvil once, and it didn't turn out well.)

Lol, yup. That spellcheck/ worn down fingers/numb nerve damaged hands got me again. I also said " radio" instead of radii too. Oh well, y'all get the idea. 

2 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

JHCC Perhaps you were using your "steely gaze" on an anvil that had a wrought iron or cast iron body.....

Hmm...I use an 1830-1835 Mousehole, so maybe the problem is that I was trying to mesmerize when I should have tried to Bessemerize.

2 minutes ago, Crazy Ivan said:

I also said " radio" instead of radii too. 

I've made that mistake too, but not with any frequency.

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

Pete, that's about what, 18" tall? What's the total weight, with and without chain

I'm a tall one. I've got it at a comfortable 30" . The weight is around 100 lbs w/o chain. I haven't gotten the chain yet, or the new anchors. Took yesterday off for a change and this morning I was running a table and networking. I've been taking more days off lately so I don't hurt myself again. A day off here and there is better than 2 weeks off with back spasms. Lol

what was that rattling on the anvil?

Littleblacksmith

13 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Littleblacksmith

That would probably be some of my misc tools and punches floating around in the tray on the anvil stand. :)

J

20 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Littleblacksmith

That rattling was the bolster and shims between the anvil and the work. I needed to have a larger hardy hole to get the drift to fully set since the hardy in the anvil is just a hair shy of 1". It allowed me to sink the drift without it binding in the anvils hardy hole. 

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, eseemann said:

Ivan, what did that block used to be in life before you found it?

thanks

Ernest

It was iron originally, then carbon and alloying elements were added such as chromium, molybdenum, manganese, vanadium, and silica. Lol.  I buy my tool steel from a place that buys out machine shops including all their stock and drops. This was a bar of new s7 stock. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2016 at 8:51 AM, JHCC said:

SWEET!!!

For those looking for the video, try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZT-M3Qj00k

That reminded me of this video I saw with 4 guys in Mexico, 1 guy holding and the other 3 with 6-8 lbs sledge hammers going to town on some kind metal like a well oiled machine. It was like watching 1 guy w/ 6 arms the way the 3 guys knew when each man would strike. I don't know what they were working but at the end of the day it knew it had been worked!