I Forge Iron

Forged feather - Incense holder

Bhutton

Hey everyone...Got my forge up and going and this is my first project.

Its WIP but soon to be finished. I saw Chandler Dickinson make one of these on you tube...Thought id give it a try.

I still need to draw out the stem at bit and curl it up to hold the incense stem.

Flatening and drawing this out was much more difficult than i had imagined.

Started out with 1/2" diameter re-bar. 18" overall length at the moment.

Ill post more pics when complete.

Thanks Bruce

20160222_181523.jpg

20160222_181530.jpg

Bruce, you done good  for your first project. Feels good don't it. Going from basic drawing and tapering to making something more  artistic is cool. 1/2 inch to that is a lot of work. Check out Brian Brazeal or Alec Steele among others for drawing out tips using the different parts of your rounding hammer. Proper technique lessens how hard you work. Its still a lot of work, but when you done you can say "I made that".  Then you go ice your arms and sleep for 12 hours :-)

Kevin...Yes it feels good. The video i watched the guy said he can make one in a little over an hour...Ive got 3 1/2 in this sucker...LOL

BTW I came close to icing...LOL - I pretty much loose all hammer control after about an hour or so...Much more work than I anticipated.

I need a rounding hammer after watching some of the videos by Brazeal...Wow - He's awesome...THANKS!

Lots of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's pretty ambitious for a first project. Looks pretty good though it's more a leaf than a feather, feathers take a lot of finish detail  to look like a feather. Rebar can have a lot of variation in steel so you never know quite what you're working with. This is a pretty hard thing to have to deal with till you've developed more skills. Even "mild" steel from the supplier can be pretty inconsistent but it's better.

I usually start people out with 3/8" sq. it's about the same amount of material per inch as 1/2" rd. but being square makes a lot of operations easier to keep straight.

Nice job, keep at it.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Aus I forge rebar for things all the time with no issue. must be the rebar. :) 

Yeah, I guess 12 mm is easy enough. Still, I wouldn't advise a beginner to use it if mild was available. I have drawn out a tail on a 25mm rebar snake and it's still sitting behind the forge till I get enough energy to shape the head and bend it. 

7 hours ago, ausfire said:

Yeah, I guess 12 mm is easy enough. Still, I wouldn't advise a beginner to use it if mild was available. I have drawn out a tail on a 25mm rebar snake and it's still sitting behind the forge till I get enough energy to shape the head and bend it. 

True on not using rebar if mild is available. I have made many things from rebar tho. Like your snake, I got 32mm rebar cut offs when they built our new body shop and have a feather I forged from it sitting on the workbench. Heavy work is done it's just been waiting on final touches for a while now. After all that work I really should just finish it up. One day when I have a power hammer I'd like to forge a bunch of feathers like it for a bird sculpture. I don't think my shoulder would like me swinging a 6lb hammer to make any more. 

It would sure make working with larger metal a lot easier. plus Time savings. If i remember i'll try to get a picture up somewhere. I do like making feathers it's just a killer making them out of such large stock.  not to mention all the heats. I probably have hours in one feather and a table of coal lol. It was one of those things i just had to try.

Bhutton, Did you get this one finished up yet? I'm curious to see the finished product :)   

4 hours ago, ausfire said:

Very nice, Das. So how many hours have gone into that?

Honestly I didn't keep track. I tried some experiments with the veining and would just toss it in the fire in between other projects. Maybe I'll have to make another and see. :)