I Forge Iron

Propane Forge Build

bigb

Been lurking awhile and this is my first post. I've been using coal but I also want a propane forge. I have a chunk of 3/16" wall pipe 12.5" diameter which I plan to cut down to 9" long and line with 2" of wool with a fire brick on the bottom. Haven't decided if I'll make doors or just use fire bricks.  Been checking out burners on Reil's page, Zoeller, Rex and the AABA home made write up. If my calculations are correct my cubic inches will be 510. Some sites say I'll need two burners but some burners I've seen look like they would be enough with just one (the T-Rex for example, but it is $200!). I have the skills and tools to build some of the home made ones I've seen. Just looking for some advice and recommendations. Thanks...BigB

There is nothing wrong with a Riel style burner, if you include the MIG tip modification, which ups its output quite a bit. There is also nothing wrong with a Frosty "T" burner, which is a lot easier to build. I would also recommend that you include a third layer of ceramic fiber, reducing your way overlarge forge enterior; trading it away for enhanced insulation performance; a win win trade off.

Welcome aboard Big B, glad to have you. Are we perhaps acquainted in the Sandbox?

There's no good reason to use pipe that heavy for the forge shell and a number of good ones not to. A 5gl. bucket or oil can is plenty strong and you don't need special tools or a teenager to move it for you.

510 cu'in is on the high side for a single 3/4" NA burner and on the low side for two of them. If you aren't going to be welding in it a single is good for general forging or bending mild steel. If you're using wrought iron you'll need high yellow heat so I'd go with two 3/4" NA burners.

Any well tuned NA burner should get you in the ball park. If you decide to take a lash at a T burner and have questions give me a shout.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well thanks guys, I've been reading some threads here on gas forges as well since my first post. I really like the propane cylinder design and I just may go that way. I can always weld a bottom on to that piece of pipe and use it for a quench bucket. Don't know about the Sandbox Frosty (been hanging out mostly at Weldingweb) but I will check it out and yes I would like to know about your burner. Wayne Coe I visited your site, that's some pretty cool stuff. I'll have questions for sure about propane cylinder construction and looks like you have everything needed except the burners?

Right now I am forging split crosses with my 11 year old grandson, he loves pounding on that glowing hot steel. Soon we are going to make some ants out of rail spikes. He wants to make a chain also. Eventually I want to make hinges, bolts, rivets and latches for the furniture I have been making. Maybe some ornamental pieces for the doors as well.

The Sandbox is an olde timey Email list that's mostly gone Facebook over the last few years. There's a member goes by BigBob and I thought maybe.

I posted this here a while ago. Wayne's site is  good place to get the materials you need and advice on general construction. You may be able to get everything locally if you have time to hunt them up.

T Burner Directions finished.pdf

Frosty The Lucky.

The problem with buying locally, in general, is that if you need 2 foot of ceramic blanket you have to buy 25 foot.  If you need 5 pounds of castable you have to buy 55 pounds.  If you need a pint (less than 2 pounds) of either Plistix or Metrikote you have to buy 55 pounds.

There are few sources for small quantities.

No I don't sell burners, regulators or hoses.  Those parts probably can be sourced locally.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

Hi -- I'm new here too and have been checking out the same burner designs as BigB (Reil's, Zoeller's, Rex's, etc.)   I'd prefer to leave this part of the construction to a pro at this point and what I'd like to do is buy one of Zoeller's sidearm burners.  However I haven't been able to get in contact.  I emailed about 10 days ago to order some superwool, but got no reply and ended up using Seattle Pottery Supply instead.    

Does anyone know if he's still selling burners?   (Rex's Shorties sound wonderful, but are a bit out of my price range.)  My plan is along the lines of Reil's freon tank or Zoeller's Simple Gas Forge, and will have an interior about 6"x6" and 9" long (324 cu in).  

Thanks.  Great info and resources here!

L

Good point Wayne, I keep forgetting the quantity limitation. EJ Bartells in Anchorage gives the Alaska club a huge price break. If we don't want a foot off a roll they just stuff a box full of rems and give it to us. We get commercial discounts on brick, castables, blanket, etc.

I'll have to keep in mind most folk haven't lucked into the honey hole refractory supplier we have in Anchorage.

Frosty The Lucky.