I Forge Iron

Need ventilation advice- lungs hurt

Hey guys, I was out in my coupe for about an hour and my lungs are bothering me.  I'm using a propane forge with a couple windows open and a set of five 1" holes near the ridge on both sides (there from when it was built)  I obviously need to get more air moving thru, but until I get electricity out there I would like some advice on how best to accomplish this.  Would a couple roof vents along with the windows open work for now?  I understand co2 is heavier so bit skeptical the roof vents will pull the co2 out without some form of forced air.  Thanks Chris

IMG_20160131_150735954.jpg

IMG_20160131_150722406_HDR.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm,  Should not have bothered you with that kind of opening.  What was in shed before?     Have a doctor check you out and have fasting blood test.  Sounds like there is more going on.   Is this a new forge?  Is there any zinc or coated sheet metal in your forge?     Worries me!

I think what Charlotte say may be right, my work area is smaller than yours with only natural ventilation using a gas forge, and I can be in there no stop for 3or 4 hours no problems.One thing I did get is a CO2 sensor alarm, battery operated and cheap to buy.

Get the gas tank a safe distance AWAY from the forge even if you have to buy a longer supply hose.

Move the forge OUTSIDE and move the anvil just inside the door.

Listen to your body and make changes.

4 hours ago, Cardinal Knife said:

a set of five 1" holes near the ridge

Is this a typo? 5 each one inch holes are not enough to let rain into the building during a hurricane, much less smoke or gasses out.

3 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Is this a typo? 5 each one inch holes are not enough to let rain into the building during a hurricane, much less smoke or gasses out.

I doubt it's  a typo. You can see the 5 holes in a cross pattern near the top of the top of the peak in his 1st pict. if you look closely.

With that simple board construction putting in a gable vent wouldn't be hard at all. Find a nice one that will fit in the stud spacing you have and then simply cut the hole to fit the gable vent.

3 hours ago, Charlotte said:

Hmm,  Should not have bothered you with that kind of opening.  What was in shed before?     Have a doctor check you out and have fasting blood test.  Sounds like there is more going on.   Is this a new forge?  Is there any zinc or coated sheet metal in your forge?     Worries me!

Just the galvanized roof, is that bad???  The coupe's been pretty much empty for years. I'm sure it had chickens decades ago but we hosed it out when we acquired the property.  All that's in there now is some scrap lumber and some gardening stuff.  I don't want to come off as dismissive and I do appreciate your concerns about my well being, but I could feel it getting stuffy in there after about fifteen minutes.  Even with the three windows open there wasn't much air flow. No wind here today and no opposing windows for a cross draft.  As far as health goes. I exercise 6 days a week and haven't even had cold in years.  

13 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Get the gas tank a safe distance AWAY from the forge even if you have to buy a longer supply hose.

Move the forge OUTSIDE and move the anvil just inside the door.

Listen to your body and make changes.

Hey Glenn, what is considered a safe distance for the tank.  The small holes in the ridge were put in a long time ago, probably for the chickens or something.  I was thinking of putting the forge on a sliding table that would slide out the window but not sure if all the moving is safe for the hose.  For now I'll do as u recommend and move it outside.

10 minutes ago, Nick O said:

I would go with what Glenn said this is something you want to address immediately before its to late and also how far away are you from a working electrical outlet? 

No electrical in there yet.

9 hours ago, Cardinal Knife said:

I don't want to come off as dismissive and I do appreciate your concerns about my well being, but I could feel it getting stuffy in there after about fifteen minutes.  Even with the three windows open there wasn't much air flow. No wind here today and no opposing windows for a cross draft.  As far as health goes. I exercise 6 days a week and haven't even had cold in years.  

If you were reacting within 15 minutes there is something in that building. If the windows and door were open you should not have a problem with what the forge is producing.

As a medical professional, I have to recommend that you get seen by your doctor. An allergic reaction can happen in this way. Although it shouldn't have caused lung discomfort that lasts much beyond the initial reaction.

Get seen.

Check into the allergies thing. There could be chicken dust in the rafters, molds, bacteria from the dung in the wood, a reaction to the propane fumes, or put your guess here, ________.

At 50 feet, I would drop an extension cord and definitely hook up a BIG fan to cross ventilate the building before doing anything inside. This would be AFTER the visit to the MD or as Charles suggests the DVM who could be more helpful in allergic reactions to old buildings. When was the last time you saw a MD working in an old barn? Keep the forge outside until you locate and identify the cause of the reaction.

This is a blacksmithing site and not a medical site. Get yourself to a competent medical professional.

59 minutes ago, beammeupscotty said:

Keep in mind that you can run a propane cooktop or range indoors with little or no ventilation at all.  Your lung problem likely has nothing at all to do with the forge and everything to do with the building.  

My oven doesn't sound like a rocketship and heat up my kitchen 20 degrees in a matter of 15 minutes.  It also is rated for indoor use and has more precision burners designed not to asphyxiate you.