I Forge Iron

Edwards No. 10 Shear Info

01tundra

I have a 10b and love it.  Make sure you have a long enough handle if you are doing 1". I have two handles for mine.  A short and a long.  Know a couple of guys that put hydraulics to theirs. 

Will get pics of it.  Make sure it is bolted to the floor too

12 hours ago, BOB T said:

01tundra......Do you know if you can you get new blades for the # 5 Edward shear ????

Yes, the #5 & #10 use the same blades, I actually ordered #5 blades yesterday from Edwards.

They now have a choice of notched or smooth, so I ordered notched, which apparently has a notch in the upper (I'm guessing) blade in the very back to keep round stock from rolling out.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:04 AM, 01tundra said:

What kind of bolts are holding your blades on?

They had 3/8" carriage bolts in mine and it doesn't appear to be correct.

My new blades arrived yesterday.  3/8" countersunk socket head bolts will work perfect for attaching the blades to the shear.

Thanks Matto.

My new cutting blades arrived yesterday, I ordered the notched option and it works really good for keeping round stock from rolling, I can definitely cut metal accurately without an assistant with these blades.  I've read where people have said that it takes two people to operate the shear, but I do not believe that is an accurate statement at all.

shear blades2.jpg

1 hour ago, Michael Cochran said:

That looks like a very useful tool for a guy doin patternwelded steel regularly. I wonder how hard it would be to find one around here.

Well....if you would've asked me that two weeks ago I would've answered with "good luck".  I found this one on my daily quest of typing "blacksmith" into the search bar on craigslist.  I've been doing so for a few years now and it finally paid off - persistence actually does pay afterall I suppose :D!!!

Just finished fabricating two handles for the shear, one 3' and one 6' long.

I used 1-1/4", Sch. 40, A106 seamless pipe for the handles and used 2"x3/4" flat bar 8-1/2" long for the blade that slides into the shear.  Notched the pipe 3" deep and welded the flat bar in.

All I lack is installing the one 1/2" drop-in concrete anchor......but I'm waiting to do that after I get my power hammer set on Saturday B).

Shear%20Handles_zpsd9zfq1ly.jpg

On January 29, 2016 at 10:03 AM, 01tundra said:

Well....if you would've asked me that two weeks ago I would've answered with "good luck".  I found this one on my daily quest of typing "blacksmith" into the search bar on craigslist.  I've been doing so for a few years now and it finally paid off - persistence actually does pay afterall I suppose :D!!!

I keep getting the same ads every time I search 'blacksmith' around here. I even tried 'ferrier' several times but usually get the same results. I'll try again since I haven't tried it in a few months.

6 hours ago, kubiack said:

How thick bar stock can you cut with the smaller handle. My #5 is rate to cut 3/4" round and square but the handle is about 6' long. I may make up a smaller handle if it will cut say up to 1/2"

I cut a piece of 1/2" round easily last night without the shear being bolted down (with the short handle).  That's as large as I've tried to cut so far.