I Forge Iron

Some days you can't take a trick...

ausfire

5 hours ago, Daswulf said:

image.jpg

Uh huh. We've been dealing with a well damaged by the recent earth quake, two sick dogs and sunday a club member drove 50 miles out to start making a RR rail anvil the way I do it. Part way through the 1st cut and the blade jams and breaks. Too late in the afternoon to go buy a couple new ones so there it sets in my cut off saw.

Some days it isn't worth getting out of bed.

It was worth it today though. The dogs are over the squirts and feeling better. The well service guys came out ahead of schedule, pulled the pump, replaced the check valve and our well is clearing up nicely. No more air in the lines and dirty water. WooHoo!

Frosty The Lucky.

18 hours ago, Daswulf said:

That's some good news Frosty.

That's rough with the cut saw blade tho. 

I'm looking to getting a back up mig gas tank so I don't run into that again. 

Why didn't you change out for the bottle on the Tig welder?

Yeah, I've cut a lot of rail I just screwed up and let the cuttings build and jam the blade. My fault, I should've used the disk grinder and ground the mushroom off the rail's wear surface so I could position it better. I just hate putting a cutter to ground steel, the embedded grit dulls them. Better than breaking them though.

I'll just have to position the rail better so cuttings clear and it can't shift. It's supposed to warm up the next few days so I won't be shivering and in a hurry.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Snip... I just hate putting a cutter to ground steel, the embedded grit dulls them. snip...

Interesting, I am the opposite...I always reckoned there was less HSS wearing abrasive on an angle ground surface than one with rust or mill scale on it...so I quite often spot blast or grind the "upwind" surface area.

I have nothing other than gut feeling for this attitude...have you anything other than observation/empirical evidence?

Alan

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Why didn't you change out for the bottle on the Tig welder?

The TIG has straight Argon, MIG likes Co2/Argon mix.  I had a problem Mig welding steel in the past at a body shop when the kid they sent to get the tank filled came back with straight argon. Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't trust my welds if I used it. 

20 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

Interesting, I am the opposite...I always reckoned there was less HSS wearing abrasive on an angle ground surface than one with rust or mill scale on it...so I quite often spot blast or grind the "upwind" surface area.

I have nothing other than gut feeling for this attitude...have you anything other than observation/empirical evidence?

Alan

Does experience count? I agree, dust and dirt are bad for cutting tools, I wire brush stock before cutting for that very reason. Scale not so, so long as it's not dirty too, HSS handles scale without problem. The grit shed by grinders is typically carborundum or harder and tends to grind cutters as well, heck it will even damage carbides.

I grew up in Dad's metal spinning and machine shop and have seen just how fast a little grit will dull a lathe cutter. You can see the edge go in the way the work looks after the tool passes. If you're running a lathe sometime set up a cut and partway through the pass shine the stock with a little emery cloth ahead of the cut and watch the results. Just one spot, not the whole bar, that way you can see the change and how it affects the cutter after it's passed the "ground" section.

Das: An argon plasma column doesn't penetrate as deeply as 75-25 the CO2. isn't inert. In the heat from the arc is disassociates into carbon gas and oxygen. The oxy and steel burns raising the temp IN the puddle and the carbon replaces what is burned out of the steel. This makes for better penetration and more importantly better edge wetting for smoother beads.

Straight argon may not be ideal for welding steel but being inert the carbon won't burn out of the steel so that's not a factor. Anyway, it isn't ideal but it was there and you could have finished the project, just turn the power up a little to make up for the penetration factor.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, Thanks for the info, I did not know that. Most of my projects are less time critical. No deadline, just trying to strike while the idea is hot. I'm now outfitted with 2 Mig gas tanks so I shouldn't run into the problem again. Also got a back up cup for the Tig in case I get clumsy again. :) 

on not using the argon, I guess with the past experience, I just didn't consider it.