I Forge Iron

RcGenck

So I am relatively new to blacksmithing, I haven't really been able to do much since I live in a third story apartment and it's winter, but I had this idea I can't get out of my head. What if you could fold copper into a mild steel billet? it would probably require a power hammer since copper melts a such a lower temperature than steel, but I think the result would be quite striking.

I guess what I am wondering is if you more skilled blacksmiths think that it would be possible, or worth it to try. And how you would go about it.

Welcome aboard Genck, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Do a web search for "Mokume Gane" adding James Binnion should hit on his website. Including copper in a billet is old school, most metals can be it just isn't really a blacksmithing technique. http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/130-mokume-gane/

However a similar technique is one type of joinery, a hard solder using copper is pretty straight forward blacksmithing joinery. Clean the faces to be joined, shinier the better. run a little sand paper over a piece of copper wire to clean it up. a DUSTING of flux, plain borax is fine and wire it together tightly. Put it in the forge till you see the join shift a bit, quickly pull it align it and let it cool. Presto sticko it's hard soldered or (brazed). You can do the same with brass, bronze, silver or a combination of them.

It makes for flashy joints if you expose it.

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

NICE looking blade J, going to fill us in on the how?

Frosty The Lucky.

Nope.. lol j/k.. Auto-catalytic plating using an aqueous solution of copper.  I simply plated the nickel layers with copper knowing that it favors adhesion to nickel over steel.

J

I'll try to do another piece like it this week and attempt take some good pictures if I have time.