I Forge Iron

Third knife is comelete... ten layers with a maple handle

HEAP of JEEP

Well, I got it done with a little time to spare.  THis is a gift for my step-son, and where as its not perfect, for my third knife, I'm pretty stoked.  Its ten layers with about 3 twists, for a pretty simple pattern, but I really like how that came out. 

Here it is right after I got done forging it.

12390835_919244268155798_114887185538010

Got it ground and ready for the heat treat and tempering

12369031_919808844766007_203972141883982

Then etched in Ferric Chloride at about a four to one ratio.  I etched it for 15 minutes, then sanded it with 800 grit... did that twice, then on third dip in the FC, I sanded it 1000 grit, and thought it looked pretty good, so stopped there.  MAde the guard from a scrap piece of brass I had lying around... It should be thicker, but its all I had on hand.

THe handle is made from some maple I salvaged from some old pallets and stained with a dark mahogany.  I had the handle mated "perfectly" with guard, so drilled the hole for the pin... then noticed my "perfectly" wasn't perfect and had to work on the front of the handle, which messed up the alignment of the holes for the pin... another learning moment... wait until the handle is glued to drill... so I cut a piece of leather to act as a spacer.

I should have cut the leather bigger and sanded it to the final size but I'll chalk that up to another learning moment, so it does look a little odd between the handle and guard, but its for a 21 year old to take camping, so I don't think the fit and finish is going to be a major issue.

Screwed up again when I was sharpening it, and you can see some grind marks going up a little high, again, because I was rushing, but I'm calling it done and grabbing a beer.  Third knife complete, and learned a lot on this one.

734939_921009491312609_5452316067408013110377617_921009534645938_608514659394258996023_921009544645937_5589362829879736512391358_921009577979267_521363390370399940821_921009597979265_51633362989753294

10398489_921009517979273_1320109694533773490_n.jpg

Not bad at all. Being in a hurry is always problematical though it can be good for points on the learning curve. Nice pattern in the blade, good contrast and the pattern is a pleasing shape.

I give it a (not a bladesmith guy) well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

35 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

the sharp 90 degree cut out for the tang, where the top of the tang meats the blade, could be trouble later, what steel did you use for the blade?

The steel on this was a major mistake on my part... since I'm so new at this, I'm still going through all of my scrap Jeep parts... figured I'd save a few bucks during the major learning curve before I purchased some known steel.  I've been using, mainly leaf springs, since I seem to have an unending supply of them, but for this one, I flattened out an axle, cut it up,  and then layered a few pieces of that with a couple of layers of mild steel to get the contrast.  After reading up on the axle steel though, I realized it is most likely 4140 and from what I have read, it was not a good choice for a blade.  I've made a couple of hardy tools with the same axle and in my mind, I was thinking that since it was such a tough steel, it should be good for a tough blade. It did harden enough to have a file skate over it, but I do not have any way of actually testing it.  So, I suspect, it will be a nice durable knife for my step-son, but he may spend a lot of time trying to keep it sharp... that's assuming he ever actually uses it.  The last camping knife I bought him (Spent a pretty penny on it too), sits on a shelf because he says its too nice to actually take out in the woods and he doesn't want to get it beat up.  I suspect this one will occupy a place on the same shelf.

As for the 90 degree cut out... I knew that was wrong from reading other threads on here... and I actually had the file out and was ready to round that out, but I was rushing to get this done for xmas morning, and me being me... got on to some other process with it, and totally forgot to do it. 

I'll be able to slow down on my next effort, and hopefully will not make a lot of the same mistake that I did with this one.   Next on the list of gifts is a chef knife for my oldest son, who is actually a chef and WILL probably use what I make for him.  On that one, I think it may be time for some known steel, and I'm not under any time constraints, so I can take my time and start learning how to address some of the early mistakes and start working on some of the more detailed aspects of the process.

3 hours ago, HEAP of JEEP said:

He was overjoyed.  Much happier than I even anticipated, so calling this one a big win.

So glad Heap. :) I know I'd be thrilled if it were me. Your starting out Really well. I can see you will improve fast, but go at your pace. You have the idea and some methods down, far above I could ever imagine getting, pay attention to what you learn each time and I feel you could go far.