I Forge Iron

Ballock dagger

ytuyuty

Newbie here.

I saw this 15th Century ballock dagger with a black handle that spoke to me. I had to make one! So I bought a gas forge, some hammers and an automobile leaf spring from the junkyard. Here is my first forging attempt, a knife. It was a disaster. C'est la vie, I learned a lot and look forward to trying again after a get more experience.

Multi-stage edge and reinforced point

Full tang peened over a bonze pommel cap

Boxwood handle

04-DSCN1150 - Copy (2).jpg

IMGP9984.JPG

IMGP9981.JPG

IMGP9980.JPG

Thanks!

Scale got mixed into the blade

Had to grind the blade too thin as a result

Blade shape turned out wrong

Couldn't forge the blade shape, had to grind it, and even then it came out wrong 

Handle is wrong shape

Bolster doesn't fit flush

Bolster has a gap around the tang

Pommel cap is off center

etc. 

Next time try using coil spring, it's actually easier to profile than leaf. Nothing wrong with grinding to a finished shape, that's what the things are for you know.

I don't know if you've read much by us old curmudgeons recommending the kids NOT try learning blacksmithing by making knives. . .Well, nevermind, you might just have enough of a knack to pull it off. It doesn't matter how perfect you make something you'll ALWAYS see the flaws. We all do, get used to it.

Nice blade Harry, especially for your first - time - at - the - anvil!!? :o YIKES outstanding job of it!

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

I don't know if you've read much by us old curmudgeons recommending the kids NOT try learning blacksmithing by making knives. . .

LOL

Yeah, I read that in several sources. The books also said to go ahead and make a knife anyway to get it out of your system!

I'm currently making some tongs and Hardie tools, and modifying my hammers, and will get back to making blades when I feel that I am better prepared. 

Already straightened a coil spring in anticipation....

It can be pretty overwhelming trying to teach yourself two or more skills sets at the same time. On the other hand some folk already have the skills they just need to adapt them to a new job.

Too many of the kids I've tried to teach the craft recently have never used a hammer and one not only couldn't calculate (to use the word pretentiously) the area of a circle he didn't even know what "area" meant so couldn't figure the area of a square. But as he put it, "I'm not getting an A in math!" These are the very kids who think they're apprentices and just coming over makes them a blacksmith so they're going to make swords.

I was a silly kid at one time and had some truly unrealistic ideas I mean seriously unrealistic like the submarine I was going to build. But wow, maybe if I grew up with a game controller instead of cardboard box forts and making stuff?

Frosty The Lucky.