I Forge Iron

Shop Redesign 220 Wiring

On 12/24/2015 at 1:11 PM, Charles R. Stevens said:

If you do that, then the real x-spurts won't know your askin. Most of us ere on the side of safety/ caution, not knowing your skill set and intelligence.

You are absolutely right and I totally understand. Will better convey my thoughts in future so no misunderstanding. Thanks much.

51 minutes ago, Shamus Blargostadt said:

I just did this, $15 for the circuit breaker (busy beaver), around $90 for 8g 2wire wire (lowes), $10 for a welder outlet (lowes), $6 for pvc conduit(lowes) (to run underground between the house and garage), $30 Field And Stream gift card (I got as a thank you last year) for an EE buddy who terminated the ends for me.

I estimated (intentionally over a bit) for a 100 foot run.. ran the wire myself and just called my buddy to do the electrical box and outlet. It looked pretty easy but I really didn't want to burn down my house.

One problem I ran into, the manager at the local electrical supply shop advised me to use 8 gauge wire for 40A and that long of a run. When my buddy checked his wiring guides, that gauge was smaller than specifications for that amperage and gauge due to heat.... so we used a 30A circuit. It should still be more than enough for the welder I have but my intention was to wire it in event I wanted to get something bigger one day. A guy at church had said he ran a 220 line using 10 gauge an even longer distance, which is even smaller... definitely seek out a friendly professional.  Better a slice of humble pie than to be on the morning news... I always say.

This is exactly kind of info I was originally searching for and very similar scenario I have here. I have found licensed electrician through friend of friend that will allow me to do the grunt work and will do the connection at very affordable cost. I have a building permit so everything will be inspected. Thank you much! I will soon be enjoying my new shop.