I Forge Iron

and another ID.

Well, I would like to know what this type of anvil is called but most of all I wanted to know which type of metal worker used it.

I do think the three hardy holes will prove to be useful (if I can get over the reflex of taking the hardies out of the anvil) .

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

As promised, some detailed pictures of this anvil. she is crooked and weird and beautiful. Not a straight plane or angle on it.

y7ww0JCw5211S2Xo9WFHjcy6AbFjCYNCTGUQo__H

she is all curves and legs.

k5IYeY0BOkvDdpZIRbL2T-bmwmKv3VHn_X2INMmb

slZfI5SZS5RsEO0SCp7iDIeQOeCXCePYcFCR-Lak

Pritchel hole has been drilled and squared on the table side

Y4avcOiQh04XyOy7HqEDW3UO7zS2VJWu0ssMxo6c

she is on the heavy side, liftable but not portable (by me).

s2uaUEraSfoCcMOnpuajj1CJilVKnfPAtQVvLB_G

She rings like a bell (but less so than the little brooks) has no dead spots . Beautiful, I look forward to putting her to work, I just know she will make me sweat.

Vaporlock

Hi All,

As promised, some detailed pictures of this anvil. she is crooked and weird and beautiful. Not a straight plane or angle on it.

56a139b93834c_2016-01-1712.43.44.thumb.j

she is all curves and legs.

56a13a5393d6d_2016-01-1712.43.23.thumb.j

56a13ab9180ee_2016-01-1712.45.52.thumb.j

Pritchel hole has been drilled and squared on the table side

56a13b2950229_2016-01-1712.50.42.thumb.j

she is on the heavy side, liftable but not portable (by me).

56a13d45e45cf_2016-01-1712.42.29.thumb.j

56a13c483c8bc_2016-01-1712.44.41.thumb.j

She rings like a bell (but less so than the little brooks) has no dead spots . Beautiful, I look forward to putting her to work, I just know she will make me sweat.

56a13daded441_2016-01-1712.43.09.thumb.j

Vaporlock

tu vois maintenant puqoi j'aime les francaises :) maintenant il te faut une bigorne :)
I seems that the table is a bit convex and there's no sign of dishing/swayback. it always amazed me how much craft is involved in forging such an anvil, that feet and all

Pas mal ton Français, pas mal du tout. I think that her curves will be sufficient for the moment, no need for the "bigorne" yet. 

She looks more like she was chipped out of a block of steel than cast.

strange also the non symmetry between the front and the back.

Unfortunately I can not really make out the writing. It does not make a lot of sense to me.

Oh man, I just stumbled upon a lucky picture.

56a21a9aee3f7_AnvilID.thumb.jpg.7edcc50f

the writing is a lot clearer "Tarreria Farge" . The above anvil is displayed in the entrance hall of the "tarreria bonjean" knifefactory .All of a sudden I have a lot more info.

Antoine tarrerias was an anvil maker born in 1838 in Thiers . His father was named Jean Terrerias and his mother was Anne Farge. No idea yet who made the anvil but it should put its date of manufature mid to end 1800. However I do not see a year nor a weight on mine.

More digging to do in the manufacture of anvils in that area.

vaporlock

my "pig" is also crooked, the front is not symmetrical to the back side. mine has no markings at all. your anvil, as mine, too, is forged not cast.  anyway, you have a combination of rectangular heeled with a double horned anvil. the narrowing face towards the horn is very handy.

nice French safety shoes you have!