I Forge Iron

Vise Hardy

Forging Carver

So I don't have much space and can't get a post leg vise. I also have no where to attach my machinists vise because I can't have all these stumps on my parents yard. So I was thinking that I could just weld a shank on the bottom of of the vise so it can fit on to my anvils hardy hole and so I won't need a table to bolt it down. I just wanted to make sure it's not a dumb idea before I do it. Thanks

The concept will work fine, but watch out- the vise might be cast iron and you'll likely make a mess of things trying to weld to it. Weld a plate to a shank and drill the plate to mount the vise to. When you do have space for a bench or vise stump, the shank won't be in your way.

Steve

If you are going to have to fabricate some sort of mounting, is it worth considering fabricating a dedicated small vice table to mount the vice on? Maybe wheeled for easy placement and stowage (just two wheeled legs) and could also incorporate addition tool and material storage and other handy features......just the type of thing to use up some of those old random machine parts....!

I have my biggest machine vice mounted on such a table, one legged as it was made to latch on to the winch roller of my 4x4 as a stop gap work station.....I'm still pondering it's next step on the evolutionary ladder that is tool making! :D

Yeah smoggy I hope i will be able to but who knows. I saw a guy in this thread post a picture of a vise that I don't quite know the name of, but it seems like it would work good. It was Vaughn who posted it. Nice and small and I have used them in my shop class before and they work pretty well. Anyways, here is my vise. It is made by Erie vises and the jaws are 4in. Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good Morning,

Make a bracket on your Anvil stump to hold a vice just off the end of the Anvil. The stationary jaw must be parallel with the long side of the Anvil, just above the flat of the Anvil, so when you clamp something in it, it will hold it in place "ON THE ANVIL FACE". If you don't want to keep it there, make a quick dis-connect bracket.

It's not Rocket Science, just remove the Box for your mind.

Neil

With the threaded center hole, you could make a real simple hardy stem and have that girl working pretty quick.  However, with only one bolt hole, you're always running into the thing wanting to unscrew if you don't turn your stock the right direction.  Not a major concern, but something to think about.  It'll want to loosen up as you hammer on stuff, etc.

The only problem I can see is that the jaws are fairly far from the face of the anvil, so you'll only be able to grab stock that's big enough to span the gap if you wanted to upset an end for making a rivet or the like.  As Swede mentioned, you might be better off making two types of brackets, one that will mount directly to the hardy hole and one that mounts to the side of the stump so the vise can act as a third hand to hold metal while you punch and drift.

Definitely a workable piece of kit, though.  No harm in using it, seeing what you like and don't like, then modifying it in the future.