I Forge Iron

Leak stoppage

Ten Hammers

Well then, from time to time we all have a need to stop blood in one fashion or another. Last evening I knocked off some hide on the right middle finger. Hacksawing some 3/16 rod in the vise. We all get ow-ies and I normally just say a bad word or 2 and move on. I noticed DNA on couple pieces I was handling and this continued. Handkerchief would not completely stop the blood. Short story long i finally found the band aids in the fridge. Why they ended up there I will never know. Direct pressure and the blood stopped.

I take an aspirin every day to thin my blood and it surely does work. Often from the slightest scratch on the back of my forearm (that I didn't even feel) I will notice there is blood dripping off my hand or my elbow. Sometimes won't notice till its all dried when I go to wash up.

So far all the leaks have stopped :D

Actually, I take no meds. Normally when I let the vampires get me ( donate blood ) I run about 115-120/65-80. I know folks that would pay for them numbers. If I could scan my arms you would see a couple scratches ( one on each ) that clotted up nice and I ALWAYS clot and heal nice. This finger deal ( avulsion ) is just one of them things. Thanks for the concern. Glenn, you right. :) Quack tape works too ! Problem is, the only duct tape available was awful cold and I doubt I coulda got it off the roll. Blue shop towels on a roll or red shop rags work fine with some duct tape sometimes. I know, I know. I now have a location for the band aids. I also have a first aid kit. Truthfully, the most important things to me are sterile eye wash and blood stoppage. Sterile eye wash freezes so in the house with the kit. Band aids have a home now that I can hopefully maintain.

HABU, have you ever actually used super glue??? I did, and man, I'd almost as soon bleed to death as put that stuff in an open wound again. Let's just say it stings. ALOT! But it did/does work to close it up and keep it closed. Wifey buys my bandaids (good cloth bandaid brand thankyou) in bulk at Cosco for me. I have a problem with my fingers cracking and tend to go through quite a few at times, especially in the winter. A little dab of neosporin and a bandaid goes a long way. Does nothing to make the leaking stop though. Direct pressure is best for that.

I know this will sound revolting to some, But I sharpened my hand router blades the other night and had the ones not in use laying on the work bench, I thought out of the way. I just barely touched one accidently with the back of my hand. Right over a visible vein, small slice but lots of leak. paper towel rool hanging from floor joists, pressure, nope didn't work, and I am not a bleeder and heal rapidly. Hmmm remembered old mountain man remedy, grabbed a spider web, they don't collect dirt, wadded it up and put on the gushing wound, just watched in fascination as the gushing stopped. Put on a latex glove to keep stuff off it. about an hour later, washed it off, put on some neosporin and next morning it was just a little scab and almost healed.

HABU, have you ever actually used super glue??? I did, and man, I'd almost as soon bleed to death as put that stuff in an open wound again. Let's just say it stings. ALOT! But it did/does work to close it up and keep it closed. .

What is a little sting to a man who is willing to handle white hot iron bare handed. ;)

Irnsrgn, On the subject of router bits and leakage. About 15 years ago I was holding an unshielded wood router in my left hand while plugging it in with my right. The switch was on and the motor jumped in my hand, the dovetail bit opened the web between my thumb and forefinger an walked across my wrist. Before the bleeding started I could see the exposed tendons in my wrist moving. I was lucky and I only nicked one tendon. Then the bleeding started, it was not squirting, just flowing. I applied direct pressure to the cut and placed a rolled up towel under my arm pit to put pressure on the artery. Two things scared me about the situation, one the ride to the e-room, the Domestic Goddess drove over 70 miles an hour through town, over speed bumps that were designed to keep you from going over 25 mph and 2: when we returned to the house the dogs had cleaned up all the blood, I had to sleep with one eye open for the next 2 weeks. I still shudder every time I pick up a router.

What is a little sting to a man who is willing to handle white hot iron bare handed. ;)

Good Point Habu. Did that just about 20 minutes ago. Wasn't quite white hot, actually it was black hot which is sometimes worse I think. Trying to straightent a small piece and getting frustrated with the scrolling pliers, just grabbed and bent. OUCH. don't hurt much now though. I think you're nerve endings take a real beating in this avocation.