I Forge Iron

New to the AK and want to learn.

Hello All. I've lived in AK for about a year now. Moved from Idaho. I've wanted to get into smithing, particularly knife making, for some time now. I'd like an opportunity to come and watch someone do some work so that I have an idea of what it takes. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Welcome aboard CJ. OUr next meeting is 01/23/16 at Pat's in Palmer.

I don't recall if I said hi already, the Iforge format tends to disappear posts and I can't keep track sometimes. I remember you from the "introduce yourself" section but don't remember if my welcome posted.

We have some bladesmith members and sometimes they come to meetings. A number of our members make knives but it's not their main product.

I'm in Wasilla and if the weather's warm enough my unheated shop is ready for visitors.

Feel free to give me a shout.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome. Congrats on the anvil. as far as the "inserts" go you can make them for what you need them to be. sure you could hunt online and try to find some that are overpriced to begin with and then pay shipping. But i think if you search what you need you'll find you can make it once you get a forge hot and some steel. first to make i'd say is probably a hot cut hardy. after that it's all in what ya really need. Many blacksmiths make ALOT of their own tools. once you get some basics it's down to what you need.

well That's really a matter of opinion and on what your doing. hammers range widely in size and style. I have Alot of hammers. some of "my" favorites are my 2 1/2# crosspein, 3# straightpein, 4# crosspein, and a variety of sized ballpeins. I really couldn't dictate to you what is best for you hammer wise. that arguement usually ends up at personal preference. Heck i knew an excellent autobody repair guy that used a claw hammer fixing dents in cars. probably a 2- 2 1/2# crosspein would probably be a starting point. some places you can pick one up for under $10.usd.  Some searching on this forum would bring up more debates or info.

You found a Vulcan?!! You lucky DOG! Great anvils and best of all quiet. Do you have a pic?

Like I said in the PM I'll bring a selection of hammers to the meeting so you can try them out.

We can make bottom tools, no reason to pay eBay or Craigslist prices. Maybe another good meeting project. Ever strike with a sledge? Ooh this could be fun. I'll bring that old axle.

Frosty The Lucky.

Vulcans are not the top anvil but it is a useable tool and this one is in good shape if you got it up here for a reasonable price you did good. tools made in your anvil will fit your anvil better than tools made some other way. there is some debate of the advisability of making stem tools in a hardy hole, I do it, I think the main thing is make sure the tool you are forging is really hot and do not miss the hot steel and make direct hits to the tail with a sledge hammer.