I Forge Iron

Torch had less heat on bigger propane tank

dawilsoniv

I am building a simple knife forge and it's going pretty well except the torch heat.  My propane torch puts out more heat directly from the little hand held blue tank then it does when attached to an extension hose and a blue rhino propane tank.   I was wondering if there is an internal regulator in that style tank or does anyone understand what the problem may be.  PS the blue rhino tank could also be referred to your standard bbg grill tank.  Thanks

"Newer" style 20 lb propane cylinders ( the ones with the triangular hand wheels) have a OPV valve that can limit flow under some conditions. Older cylinders or larger cylinders don't have an OPV valve and can flow higher gas rates.

44 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

you but you do need an external regulator. Most that we buy are set for BBQ are to low for a forge.

What's a good inexpensi

Oops, hit submit inadvertently.  

What is a good inexpensive regulator For propane tanks? I'm switching from the new style grocery store tank to an old tank from my fifth wheel. 

Joe: Petrolane in Wasilla Ak. sells a 0-50psig. high volume regulator for around $26.00 and also carry gauges, hose, fittings, etc. Most any propane supplier will carry the stuff in their office/show room.

Sorry, I got the original question out of order. What kind of torch are you using? Are you using a soldering torch W/ the correct conversion hose for a large tank? If the new tank has the OPV valve open it slowly and it shouldn't "think" your torch is a leak.

Frosty The Lucky.

It is a BurnzOmatiic propane torch for plumbing.  I also bought all the parts for a homemade burner now I just need to assemble it and get a regulator because even with full flow I don't think the torch is enough heat for the forge.  I think some one said a 30lb regulator is a good size and I've also heard that 20lbs is good.

On December 3, 2015 at 9:06:14 AM, DSW said:

"Newer" style 20 lb propane cylinders ( the ones with the triangular hand wheels) have a OPV valve that can limit flow under some conditions. Older cylinders or larger cylinders don't have an OPV valve and can flow higher gas rates.

I have problems with those on my "weed burner" which is basically fully unregulated--I find that the only solution is to open the valve on the propane tank VERY slowly.  If I don't, the burner will only run at a very small output.  Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get the proper flow without restriction.  

Weed burner is another propane tool I've had issues like that with as well. I've also had problems with gas grills if they aren't sitting the right way on a slope. The OPV valve is on an arm and if the tank is sitting the right way on a slope, the valve will partially close.

8 minutes ago, DSW said:

Weed burner is another propane tool I've had issues like that with as well. I've also had problems with gas grills if they aren't sitting the right way on a slope. The OPV valve is on an arm and if the tank is sitting the right way on a slope, the valve will partially close.

If you open the tank valve slowly the OPV valve won't think it's a leak and close up. This doesn't always work but does often enough we didn't have to have all the valves replaced at work. Commercial operations can spec the old style tank valves and they use a LOT of weed burners at DOT highways and nobody was going to pack more than a 40lb. bottle on a BAD day. Heck we make the new guys carry the 40s. ;)

A bernzomatic soldering torch is only sufficient to bring around 100-125 cu/in. to welding temp, a little more to general forging and bending say mid orange heat.

Buy the reg at the local propane supplier. 0-30psi is plenty if you can find one. I believe 0-50psi is what's in common stock and will work fine you don't have to turn it up all the way. The reason we use regs that run even to 30psi is supplying enough volume to the burner, lower pressure regs supply dribs and drabs compared to what a forge needs.

Frosty The Lucky.