I Forge Iron

Can someone explain this forge to me please

natenaaron

It could quiet easily be a very effeciant charcoal forge, the hood and the line coming in below the forge, looks like he has made a furnace type housing to keep a lot more heat in, looks good, 

Edited by turbo7
Double post

Enclosing a solid fuel fire in a furnace will allow you to reach heat without excess oxy reaching the work, if you manage the fire correctly. This is one reason I prefer a duck's nest forge for solid fuel. I rarely need an enclosed fire so stack the bricks deeper around the air grate but when I need to concentrate the heat, say heavy section stock I'll roof the fire over with brick.

A screaming hot fuel eating fire heats the bricks in a few minutes, turn the air WAY down, a layer of fuel, the stock and more fuel for a long deep soak. It's surprisingly efficient.

Or, if working out of a camp fire, building a little tunnel furnace next to it allows you much better heat control in a small package while the camp fire behind it provides your air blast from the front.

If almost no heat is escaping you don't need much fire.

Frosty The Lucky.

In his book on japanese bladesmithing he says he prefers a charcoal forge although he also uses coal, coke or gas.

This from Google books shows his arrangement:

https://books.google.com.mx/books?id=aTTOlliEPo8C&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=murray+carter+charcoal+forge&source=bl&ots=EoriEFaPO7&sig=R9IKzV_RyDPbzpXRWLimEbj1KoI&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=murray carter charcoal forge&f=false

I hope the link works correctly and that it may be of help

Rubén