I Forge Iron

4 years since my last cigarette

Xaiver

My wife used to work in a private hospital that did a lot of addiction work; one of the Drs there was once telling us that some people have an issue with their neurotransmitters and they get addicted very very easily and it's VERY VERY HARD to stop.  Others have different variations of the neurotransmitters and it's nigh impossible for them to get addicted and trivial to stop.  So never hassle people about how much trouble they are having giving stuff up when it may have been easy for someone else; they may have the wrong ones and should be helped as much as possible! 

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm officially past the two week point without a cigarette. A girl I work with walked back in the other day after taking a smoke break and smelled absolutely scruptuous, but I resisted the urge to stop on the way home to buy a pack. Hopefully I'm out of the woods now. I've been using a vape pen just to maintain sanity but it's not the same. I'll give it another week and start turning it down to get off of nicotine completely.

28 minutes ago, jumbojak said:

Well, I'm officially past the two week point without a cigarette. A girl I work with walked back in the other day after taking a smoke break and smelled absolutely scruptuous, but I resisted the urge to stop on the way home to buy a pack. Hopefully I'm out of the woods now. I've been using a vape pen just to maintain sanity but it's not the same. I'll give it another week and start turning it down to get off of nicotine completely.

Vape pen statistics show that the average "quitter" of coffin nails takes about 8 months before they stop using it.  I haven't made that break yet although it's on my short list--Quit the cancer sticks 16 months ago.  The vape HAS kept me from going back to the sticks but it too needs to eventually go.

But the real reason I had to chime in was to note that the desire for that smoke doesn't seem to go away.  I'd sure LOVE to sit down and do some fishing with a good smoke.  There are other times when the sight or notion is awfully tempting also.  I have heard many long-term quitters say they still crave the good old smokies.

Good on you for making it 2 weeks.  Stick with it because it's worth the battle (took several months before I noticed my lungs no longer felt like they'd been scrubbed with a wire brush every morning).  Don't abandon the vaping too soon if that's the crutch you need to keep off the smokes.  Maybe go to a lower nicotine content liquid as time passes.  Better to accept the lesser of 2 evils for a while than to potentially sabotage the project.

No, it's not "advice"--just opinion.

The mind games you play with yourself about it...

For me the wonderful Mark Twain saying about  "It is easy to give up...I have given up thousands of times!" rang true.

I managed to prove many times that the awful warning about the "first one" having given up, never is...."just having the one" when you were with old mates having a drink is fatal. Invariably I would start up again.

First pack at 8...Smoking a pipe from 16 to early 30s...a five year break...then an old school friend came to work with me, and as we had smoked "round the back of the bike sheds at school" got me going again, that time on roll-ups. That lasted for another 15 or 16 years with a few 6 or 8 month breaks until about 7 or 8 years ago when I just stopped.

The big difference being that this time the smell of someone else's  smoke really nauseated me. Fantastic! I insisted my mate who smoked on for another year or so, smoke outside the forge.

I used to be of the opinion that once a smoker you were always a smoker. Even after you had given up you were just a smoker who did not happen to be smoking at that time. I have changed my opinion now but it is still true for many.

One of the more successful quitting ploys I found was to keep a full ashtray beside your television chair. After a bit I put that into a honey jar and would open it to take an occasional whiff and be grateful for what I was avoiding...

One of the great things (apart from the lack of foul taste and smell hanging around) was the fact that the hills which have been getting steeper to walk up as I got older, started to level out a bit!

Good luck to any quitters...

Alan