I Forge Iron

Hand drill press/ punch

Had picked this hand operated drill press at an auction. Looked interesting. Only thing is it seems to have a punch in it and I don't see how it would get changed out. Looks like it would mount to a table or something. The wheel lowers it and the handle turns the bit. Unless someone changed it for a single purpose or just jammed that punch in there, I don't really see the need for the punch in a drill press.  Any thoughts?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So one of those pieces on the top rotates a shaft that goes down through the threaded section?

Or does just the bottom piece rotate so it can remain stationary as the threaded part advances?

the top turn handle rotates an inner shaft and the lower part that holds the "bit" and the "wheel" at the top rotates the threaded part that lowers it.  

• 2 months later...

Are both of the guide brackets the threaded spindle passes through threaded, or is one clearance?

Is it a tapered chuck? Is there a notch in the side of the punch by the chuck mouth to hoik it out with, or is there a grub screw holding it in?

Unless it was just made up from bits kicking around, the crank handle implies that the tool was rotated, rather than just for aligning/guiding the facets of the punch.

The adjusting wheel is fairly small in diameter and does not give much mechanical advantage as far as the pressing goes.

I was wondering if it was a reamer for making/opening holes in something soft like lead or copper. A nut or short length of tube could form a bottom die to support the workpiece and allow the tool to pass through.

Possibly for cleaning out tubular fittings? I recently unblocked a calcified drain pipe with a hammer drill and then hammered in and rotated a square steel pin.

Alan

Vaughn, not sure it would work fast enough to do what you said before the piece losing heat. Good ideas tho, thank you. Couldn't hit to mount it up and try. 

Alan, here are some more pictures. I'll post a reply a lil later. As my brother just showed up with some coke for me :). Post will dissapear if I wait

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok, in the first picture the "chuck" doesn't seem to have any visible way to change out the punch and it seems locked in good. It has a pin holding it to the shaft it rotates on that inside of the threaded outer shaft. 

Picture 2 shows the inner shaft handle that rotates free inside the dial crank of the outer threaded shaft. Pics 3 and 4 are size reference.