I Forge Iron

Demos and other smiths

LOL, sometimes that is true I suppose.  Maybe it's just me or maybe I'm getting OLD.  When I was younger I was more competitive, as I've gotten older I just don't bother.  Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, from Heschel:  "When I was young I admired clever people, now that I am old I admire kind people."

SpankySmith, Michael here. I'm 44 and like to consider myself well read but sadly I had never heard of Heschel before your post. A quick search has me intrigued and I now have an updated reading list for the weekend. Thanks for that.

As for the other....I love watching other smiths work. I believe I can learn something from everyone, no mater how young or old, regardless of their experience level. I don't demo often, maybe two or three times a year, but I like the idea of offering my five pound rounding hammer to the know-it-alls in the crowd. I'm fortunate to know quite a few talented blacksmiths and of course we all pop up at the same events. When one of those guys shows up where I'm demoing they sometimes engage the crowd on my behalf and I'm greatful for it. I can focus on my work while they provide a running commentary, but again, these are truly knowledgeable guys who I consider to be friends.

If we're making reading recommendations here, I STRONGLY recommend "Evening in the Palace of Reason" by James Gaines, especially if you like classical music and European intellectual history of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

I understand, Ive been there myself..being from Appalachia Im a very plain spoken man..Too much so and very NON politically correct my Captain use to tell me..Ive found that over the years the less you worry about what others think the happier you will be..Not saying don't be nice, most consider me a nice person but they all know not to ask me an opinion if they cant handle the answer..I guess the simple point is that I know its hard to look over guys like that but you will be a lot happier when you do.. I also want to add that I try and be very respectful of teachers and demo-er's..Even if I know what they are teaching is wrong Ill usually just keep my teeth together and walk away..

Edited by KYBOY

I normally try to stay in the background keep my trap shut and just watch, however my wife or kids normally let the cat out of the bag with a "oh my dad/husband is a blacksmith too."  Thats when said demo smith will normally want to meet me.  I prefer just to watch and keep any comments to myself, and only give opinions or advice when asked.

In a four month season, I log over 2000 hours of demoing and glad handing. Now that the season is over and my forced smile has relaxed, I think it's safe to assume I was feeling a little burnt out. 

I intend to talk to my employer about the feasibility of welcoming a traveling smith to join me for one day a month. Seems like a good resolution to both my problems.  

The regional group wants nothing to do with us unless we join and pay dues. Is this forum something I can use to make invites?

We also have a problem finding reliable, cheerful PT smiths. 

I only talk up when the guy asks a question and is met with total silence. Most of the demos I go to are filled with people who are either already blacksmiths and don't need to ask very many questions, or are filled with people so ignorant they don't know where to begin.

If I have to ask a few simple questions to make it seem like at least someone is paying attention, then I'll do it.

I Demo'd 20+ days this year not including guild meetings and volunteer work at my local fort, and I sometimes demo with other smiths.  The thing is we run into people all the time who are smiths or are interested in the craft.  I have yet to run into an overly rude smith, a rude one at times, but they all get the same "thats cool", "are you familiar with these clubs?", "Do you demo?".  The last question is the one I really like because if the answer is no I simple say "oh?" turn and go back to what I was doing and enjoy the people around.

I am not saying that to be a smith you have to demo, but if you see a smith willing to stand out infront of the public and share his skill and knowledge, you had best be polite and curtious because I am the one standing there, not you.

Just saying.