I Forge Iron

I Love H13

WHAT A COOL STEEL! made a small cape style chisel today from it for marking sword tangs for a friend of mine, I was pretty skeptical about "heat it up to low yellow, let cool and use" but sure enough DANG! i added the edge wile it was hot with the bench grinder(which would not even scratch it afterwards) then got it up nice and even to a low yellow and let it cool, once cool i dressed the edge, tried with a file = NOPE, bench grinder = JUST BARELY, good thing i sharpened it first! Put a nice finish on the edge with the old stone grinder, and was SHAVING steel slivers off of my steel table as if it were wood. I LOVE H13, the very coolest steel i have ever seen and used yet!

The best thing about H-13 is that the tempering tempetures get well into 900 F. so for punches and stuff that is likely to get hot it still works the second time. S-7 is similar but wont handle quite as much heat.

H13 is tempered at about 1150 degrees which is a very dull red so it can be taken up to a dull red before the temper comes out. i didn't know you could take it to a yellow and do the same thing, a lot easier than trying to take it to the exact temp required and quenching it. i have quite a bit so will try up to a yellow and let it cool.
thanks

I think due to the air hardening properties Peyton, a nice chinese chiseling hammer would be best to use with these. They really don't get high up there Rockwell hardness wise though, only about lower 50s so most smithing tools will work fine. When hardened they are much softer than the anvil face, and softer than most hammers.

I got mine from the local blacksmith supply, had a couple small lengths of H13 and S7.

JohnW, yup that is exactly what i did. After it cooled down, i went to try and grind it, barely any sparks even came off with quite a bit of pressure against my bench grinder (8 inch 36 grit). I took it up to a nice red color then it ground just fine, held tightly in the proper size tongs. With the air cool there is not much stress, so grind it to final shape and sharep edge with not too many worries about cracks.

Peyton the critical temp for H-13 is 1850 F I belive with out going out to the shop to look at my heat treating info. If air cooled from just nonmagnetic it will not be harder than your hammer. Make your tool slow cool as best you can, if back of tool is hard heat back of tool to nonmagnetic. let air cool then heat working end to 1850 (I can see starting to glow in my gas forge in lighted shop or use temp. stick) then let this end air cool. some tools you can do both at the same time, by bringing short tool working end up to heat the hammer end is up to a lower heat that works out well. It looks like you are in a picturer with Tom Clark I think what He does is make the tool bring to heat, bury in vermiculite with only the working tip exposed to air that way the tip cools faster and is hard and the hammer end cools slow enough to be softer.
Stretch you are right I under stated how high you can temper H-13 which only makes the point I was trying to say more true.

I don't have a local source for tool steel and having not been smithing for the past 2 years hadn't looked into it too hard. I was googling for steel suppliers the other day and found several but wasn't sure what I should really be getting. I'm looking at making hardies, chisels, flatters, butchers, hammers, etc.
Old Cedar Forge were I've taken all my classes is offering a tooling course in March but that is a kid weekend for me so I'll have to hope for one on an available weekend in the fall. Mr. C. takes his Harley cross country every summer and offers no courses during that time.

Peyton the critical temp for H-13 is 1850 F I belive with out going out to the shop to look at my heat treating info. If air cooled from just nonmagnetic it will not be harder than your hammer. Make your tool slow cool as best you can, if back of tool is hard heat back of tool to nonmagnetic. let air cool then heat working end to 1850 (I can see starting to glow in my gas forge in lighted shop or use temp. stick) then let this end air cool. some tools you can do both at the same time, by bringing short tool working end up to heat the hammer end is up to a lower heat that works out well. It looks like you are in a picturer with Tom Clark I think what He does is make the tool bring to heat, bury in vermiculite with only the working tip exposed to air that way the tip cools faster and is hard and the hammer end cools slow enough to be softer.
Stretch you are right I under stated how high you can temper H-13 which only makes the point I was trying to say more true.

I love H13 and with this easier way to harden I am going to make more tools now. i have never taken a punch or hot cut to a red so am quite safe in not taking the temper out.

While in the shop today I picked up my heat treating info. for H-13 the tempering curve for air hardened from 1850 F is at 52.5 Rockwell untill 780 then it gets harder untill 900 (R 54) it comes back down to R 52.5 at about 980 and hardness drops form there, 1040 is about R50 1100 is about R45 1150 R40 1170 R35
This information is form a graff produced by Latrobe that I got with a bunch of H-13 in 1990. I doubt that the material has changed in that time, so I would not temper at 1150 but if it gets to 1000 or something I probably wouldn't know the difference.
When I have paid for expensive tool steel in the past I try to get heat treament informaton from the seller. They should want us to succede as then we will want more of their steel so this is a win win situation.
I never tried the M-4, Mr. Hoffi why is it that you don't use it for your tools if it is the best?

Hofi; I'm going to ask around at EMRTC to see if they have any used tank penetrators for making a drift from---I know they scattered a lot of U238 around out in the test area so perhaps I'll luck out. They get fussy about us going out in the desert and hunting on our own in the test range though.

THOMAS- I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH U238.IKNOW THAT THE SPECIFIC GRAVITY IS HIGHER AND THERFORE IT WILL WITHSTAND MORE HEAT AND FOR A LONGER TIME.
AND I DO NOT KNOW IF IT IS BRITLE OR WHOT IS THE NATUERAL HRC IF U CAN GRIND IT WITH A BELT GRINDER OR USE THE LATH TO TURN WITH THE VIDIA-TUNGSTEN BAKED CARBIDE TIPS.
I USE THE TUNGSTEN TANK PENETRATOR THAT I GET FROM MY SOLDIER-STUDENTS THAT ARE COLECTING THEM IN THE TRAINING FIELDES.
THE TUNGSTEN IS HRC41 AND U CAN GRIND AND TURN ON THE LATH.
IF U FINED THE U238 LET ME KNOW THE RASULT
HAPPY NEW YEAR
HOFI

No I don't want U238! But if it's still out there perhaps some of the old school tank penetrators may be too.

U238 is pyrophoric---likes to burn with toxic fumes---heavy metal poisoning as well as small ammounts of radiation. I seem to remember machinists saying it was hard and brittle

Now to make a very heavy very small hammer head with it enclosed in another metal might work.

Hofi; I'm going to ask around at EMRTC to see if they have any used tank penetrators for making a drift from---I know they scattered a lot of U238 around out in the test area so perhaps I'll luck out. They get fussy about us going out in the desert and hunting on our own in the test range though.

Hey, if you find any, I'd be interested in one. I managed to get my hand on about a 3-4 ounce sample of DU, but I'm looking for something larger to go with my 4# chunk of tungsten alloy.

And yeah, the dust is nasty, so no grinding or cutting without proper protection. The radiation is just alpha, so as long as you don't eat it or breath it, your skin stops it.

Ejector Pins - Plastixs.com

A source for H13 is the plastic injection molding business, they use H13 ejector pins in their molds to push the parts out of the cavities. The pins are available in hardened and annealed and nitrated. My kid brother is a tool and die maker and keeps a stock of pins from .004" to 2.500" They make great punches right out of the box.

he also has a 3648 lb H13 mold sitting in the shop that he says I can have for an anvil if I can figure out how to get it out of the truck when I get it home.:D