I Forge Iron

show us your letter openers

Well, I got them finished; delivered this morning. I was unable to meet face-to-face with the Event Coordinator -- for each other's safety, of course -- so I'm not sure how they feel about them. I hope they like them. They work just fine... I just know I could have done better, aesthetically. I went with the style seen in the picture below for the remaining 10.

They are made from 3/8" coil spring, at varying lengths. After showing the first 15 to my boss, he asked that the rest be made shorter, so they range from 8" - 3.5". I used a flap disk and wire brush attachment on the angle grinder for clean-up and to lightly shape and round the edges, and finished them with Trewax. 

Immediate Takeaways: 

• Time to update my dern gas forge, it's just not achieving the heat I need long-term, especially for higher carbon steel. I'm sure it's my homemade Venturi burner and insufficient regulator, but that's another project for another day. It would have been tough to keep up with the coal forge, as I make my charcoal as I go. 
  • Don't take (create) the job if I won't have enough time to meet my standard of work.
  • Obtain/forge a flatter.
  • Keep working on the taper (and range) of my scrolls.

20201118_114124.jpg