I Forge Iron

trying to identify this anvil

A little more info on this anvil. it has a steel top that appears to be 1/2" to 5/8" thick. I did a bounce test with a steel ball and dropping it from 12 inches, it bounced to 8 1/2 inches. Also, today on the Portland Craig's list there is one that appears to have been made by the same maker and it is marked with a 60.

Norm

Jim 

Thanks for the information. I did a search on Badger and agree that is what it is. It seems that the people that use them think highly of them. They are also considered rare and collectable, but that may be because they are not marked and are hard to Identify. Does anyone have more info on their history?

Norm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Just because it has a hardy bulge and the rear cutout does not necessarily mean it is a Badger."

This is true. The Illinois Iron & Bolt Company bought the American Skein & Foundry company sometime in the 50s or early 60s and eventually dropped the Badger branding in favor of Vulcan. They started manufacturing the Vulcan in Racine, Wisconsin around that time and there's a period there where they look the same. But, it's just a name. Either way, your anvil has a tool steel face welded to a cast body, which is why it rebounds but doesn't ring. The tip of the horn is made from tough un-tempered steel and the rest of the horn is wrapped in it.

Robert Postman, the author of Anvils in America had said to let him know if anyone stumbled across a Badger because he'd never seen one in person, just in catalog pictures, so I called him to let him know about this one just now. It turns out that he'd actually figured it out since then, and discovered that like this one, a lot of Badgers lack the trade mark stamp. I saw a picture of one from 1930 that looks like yours and has no trade mark.

Edited by Ian Sayers