I Forge Iron

Layered plate anvils for power hammers?

Ive noticed on a few power hammers, most notably the KZ100 that use stacks of vertical 1" plates for the anvils instead of solid rounds..Just curious if anyone has used a hammer with anvils like this? From what Ive seen they seem to function great but I have no personal exp with them. Im going to build a tire hammer(would like to have a dedicated drawing hammer) and one thing I wont skimp on is the size of the anvil..Let me know what you think.

hey ky

if 1" layers are ok then how good would 4" layers be?

the layered plate idea seems ok but 1"  seems abit on the light side to me

maybe you could use a thick top plate and then some 2"-4" layers welded up under that

have seen a hammer where big round bar was used and then they welded 2" square billets to the sides to increase mass

not sure about that theory either

are you buying your anvil material or looking to find it? as that will have a big impact on what you could use

I did such on my 100# Kinyon hammer. I saw the video of the KZ hammer, I've never met Ken, but he looks like came up the hard way, I just trusted him. The 1 x 8 plate works great for me. You can see my hammer on youtube, Search olenemachine. I abbreviated the last plate toward the operator 4 inches for operator convenience, I talk about why in the video. 

Ive noticed on a few power hammers, most notably the KZ100 that use stacks of vertical 1" plates for the anvils instead of solid rounds..Just curious if anyone has used a hammer with anvils like this? From what Ive seen they seem to function great but I have no personal exp with them. Im going to build a tire hammer(would like to have a dedicated drawing hammer) and one thing I wont skimp on is the size of the anvil..Let me know what you think.

Do you mean running lengths up and down and stacked sideways? If you do it that way and put a piece of thick plate on top it should be ok.

I experimented with plates both vertically and horizontally.

As far as I understand anvil theory; an anvil is not about being heavy; nor about being massive; but about reflecting the force of an impact back into the object on it.

Let me explain. picture 2 biljart balls in space; same size; same mass. One has speed X; and hits the other ball straight on. Both balls will move in opposite directions with speed X/2.

Now increase mass of the not-moving ball(A) by 10. Ball B hitting it will move away at 90 % speed X; while ball A will start to move away at 10 % speed X.

An anvil doesn't move at all; and stays static. so the kinetic energy in it; will be dispersed to the object between hammer and anvil; but only for the very first few milliseconds; to maximalise the force reflected back in the object on the anvil; the "wave" needs to be back extremely fast, that is why the mass is that important; if hammer and anvil weigh the same; the force is release into the object "slower", and it will jump up too quick to deform fast.

If you have a cast iron anvil (with a hardened steel face like industrial power hammers); the most efficient ratio is about 1/ 25. 1 /10 is still good.

If your anvil is based out of horizontally stacked plates; the reflection is slowed down. A stack of cast iron disks weighing 300 kilo's isn't as efficient as vertically stacked plates of the same weight.

I currently use an anvil of railroad track with their steel welding plates welded on on both sides. that makes 4 "legs"; each about 70 kilo. a 3 cm bottom plate, and a 3 cm top pate; works fairly good.

mvg; Bart