I Forge Iron

Hi there smithies!  So straight to the point.

I am new to the craft and will shortly be attending a meeting of the Indiana Blacksmithing Association Inc.  This is my first time attending anything like this and the group in question does a Iron in the Hat raffle as a fund raiser.  My question is, what would be appropriate for me to bring?  I honestly have no idea what would be good to contribute. 

Top of the list is anything you have made with your own hands.  After that any great finds like a bundle of rusty files, one of my personal favorites, or any thing that a blacksmith or blade smith might use.   I've given away rail anvils that I polished up for use by jewelers or copper crafts  people. 

Hi there . . . SMITHIES?!  Are you greeting our shops or what?  :rolleyes:

A "smith" is someone who works in a "smithy." That's not a BIG distinction but terminology matters so we all know what the other fellow is talking about. Don't sweat it, nobody is born knowing this stuff and we tease each other all the time. It's a family thing.

What have you made? It doesn't need to be fancy or a masterwork to be good iron in the hat material. Owning something another smith made is a special thing to us, sometimes serious bragging rights. For instance if I owned oh, one of the first punches Brian Brazeal made I'd have it signed, framed and hung prominently. Some day one of YOUR early works might be something for an old timer to brag about, "Why I remember Squirrelstick when. . ."

Useful steel or iron stock is good too, files have already been mentioned and spring stock is okay but not so hot, it's pretty iffy. An old crow bar and such is good stock, ball pein hammer heads or heck any smooth faced hammer head. . . You get the idea? Doesn't have to be fancy just something a blacksmith might covet. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

There is a lady at the Alex Bealer Blacksmith Association who makes Apple Butter and Fig Preserves..  They usually get the most tickets.  She also knits scarves and sews aprons and they are a big hit.  It never hurts to bring something home for the wife.

Forged items are always a bit hit.  Some tool from Harbor Freight not so much.

If it brings one ticket it was worth bringing. 

Greetings Squirrel

Look up Squirrel cooker on this thread and on Google . Seems like the just right project for you .. Easy to make and is always useful . You will do well. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Edited by Jim Coke

Good Morning, Squirrel

First thing for "Iron inna Hat", A HAT!!!! Your choice what kind, Blacksmiths never get enough Hats!! Can't find a Hat, Bring a jar of Jam/Jelly, steam the store bought label off and put a masking tape label on. Aunt Martha's Favorite!!!!

Second thing for "Iron inna Hat"  You!!!! with a smile, a note book with a Pen/Pencil, a digital remember Camera, a LARGE Coffee Cup (Don't have to make a many trips, except to the unloader called a Toilet).

Third thing.....The knowledge of when it is OK to ask a Newbie question and when it is better to make a note and ask someone later when it is quieter. Steal thoughts with your eyes and  notebook!! Take pictures that you can relate to the notes in your memory book. Date the Notebook!!

There is no end of Larning!!!! Not one person alive knows it all!!!! The person that you may shy away from, keep quiet and watch, you will Learn!!!

Neil

Hi there . . . SMITHIES?!  Are you greeting our shops or what?  :rolleyes:

A "smith" is someone who works in a "smithy." That's not a BIG distinction but terminology matters so we all know what the other fellow is talking about. Don't sweat it, nobody is born knowing this stuff and we tease each other all the time. It's a family thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty ... I wasn't brave enough to mention that, lest it be seen as criticism.

It really irks me when visitors to my forge greet me as 'the old smithy'. I can live with the 'old' bit, but I don't appreciate being called a smithy. I guess there are worse things to be called, but  ... just sayin'.

Did not realize the difference.  What is the plural of smith?  Smiths?

Yes, smiths or HEY where'd all the beer go!?

Don't sweat it, the terminology or professional jargon is just part of the learning curve and sometimes regional. Like any other craft/trade the jargon allows folks to communicate clearly without spending all day explaining what THAT meant.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks everyone.  I'm pretty sure I have a couple old files I could bring.

Then by the time the next meeting rolls around I should have a project of my own to take.

im a member of the IVBA we do the same thing just bring some railroad spikes ive seen children's winter gloves but files would be great to