I Forge Iron

Off-the-forge finish

ausfire

I guess this is one of the nicer problems to have. Do you notice that people like to buy the things they actually see you make? This presents a problem in that you can't just sell a thing straight off the forge. It needs some sort of finish.

I do a lot of rail spike bottle openers - they are quick and easy and I have thousands of the things. People like to watch the twist and the punching and drifting of the opening etc. and they want to buy the finished item. Not a near identical one on the shelf - they want 'that one'!

Most of my visitors are tourists who are gone the same day and can't return the next day to pick up a properly finished piece.

The bottle opener in the picture is pretty much straight off the forge, after a bit of wire brushing. What can I do to provide an on-the-spot acceptable finish? I don't like the thought of someone taking away a raw item like that and finding it's turned orange within a few days.

Straight beeswax is gluggy and spray finishes are well and good but take time to dry.

Do you sell straight off your forge and, if so, what do you do to make the pieces presentable??

DSC_4714.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the double posting here. I posted a similar entry in the thread about bottle openers, as I thought this one had succumbed to the 'Forbidden' bug.

You can delete this thread if you like, Glenn.

My suggestions have been aired in the other thread and remain the unchanged.  :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

Or as they say when you make a telephone credit card charge..."Information on file" or "Signature on file".  That scares me.

Or as they say when you make a telephone credit card charge..."Information on file" or "Signature on file".  That scares me.

As much as the newest thing in credit card sales where all you have to do is walk past the machine? Were I less honest I'd be looking for one of those scanners.

Frosty The Lucky.