I Forge Iron

First knife on my 2x72

T.J.watts

The blade is 1095 4.125" long overall 8.125". The handle is dyed red heart and stainless bolsters and pins. I tried an edge quench to show a basic hamon but it didn't turn out as planned. Etched in ferric 6:1 mix. Im thinking i may have to con Charles in to helping me with the sheath. I'm happy with the end result even after a few mistakes. This one is just for me to carry and see if I'm on the right track or not. Looking forward to see what you guys think.

IMG_20150624_085848.jpg

KIMG0166.jpg

KIMG0142.jpg

KIMG0169.jpg

KIMG0167.jpg

KIMG0170.jpg

thank you for the response. I made a stropping block today with some leather and a 2x4, it seems to hold the edge well and gets very sharp without rolling the edge. just a side note, I didn't have any green rouge so I tried mothers polish on the leather and it works fairly well.

looks like a knife laddie!

About the Hamon not turning out as you had planned, tell us more specifics. Like how long you etched (BTW-I think your ferric solution may be too week by half), how you sanded the finish, etc. These items may be why you didn't get the results you were trying for.

The blade was etched three times, twice for ten seconds and last for twenty seconds. Between each etch I cleaned the blade with fine steel wool and wiped clean. After the etch I used mothers polish and hand polished till my fingers hurt :unsure:. The original finish was to 800grit. When I did the heat treat I was trying to do the Hamon without clay to see if would work, but I think next time I'll use clay and see if that helps define the Hamon better.

Let me know when your up for "destructive testing" ;-) if it lives with me a hear its a keeper (-D

best compliment I heard. Was His Wife, "I like it, its a lot better than the one you carry." Lol. 

TJ were talking about it, and we were wondering what makes the etchent cut the harder steel at a diferent rate than the softer. Being that chemicaly they are the same. 

• 1 month later...