I Forge Iron

Will this work for a forge

remist17

I was given a cast fire pot that was used on decks. It is about 28" in diameter and 6" deep. I was going to just put some mud mix to make a valley and attach my air by the bottom. Side entry may also work ? Thinking about using the stand and screw it to a wood platform to get it off the ground. I'm thinking of the depth is to great I can cut the side down and make a entry area. Using with coal if i can find blacksmith coal. Thoughts?

IMG_20150801_184651377.jpg

IMG_20150801_184642197.jpg

Edited by remist17

If it's truly cast iron you may need a carbide sawzall blade. They do sell them, I've used them in the past to cut cast iron sewer pipes. It will not be the fastest method, and you may break a few blades.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-9-in-Carbide-Grit-Sawzall-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade-3-Pack-48-00-1430/100088519

A zip wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder would be one of my 1st choices, and do the cut from the back where you have the most room to maneuver. If it's not cast iron, but just sheet steel, almost any metal cutting blade will work. Hard to tell in that picture, but I'm guessing it's simply pressed sheet steel which make it easier to cut.

Filling in with fire bricks will work. In fact chances are just about any brick/block will work, as long as you clay the actual fire pot to protect them from direct heat. All they really are is filler anyways.

Brake rotors are better than drums, but just clay will be fine since you will have so much in there anyways. 

Being that you are in PA, you should have no problem finding coal ....

How are you supplying the air? That will affect what you use to plumb it with.

You might want to clay that right up to within an inch of the top edge. That will give you a larger diameter to work with, and make it shallow enough to do long stock. Look at pictures if vintage cast iron forges, they were not that deep.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

OK thank you all. I will look at side blast and clay it in. Sounds like the drum is not needed.  If i go bottom design should i use the drum or just clay? I plan pn using a fan from a hot water heater and use a ball valve to restrict air. I will look at side blast design today but will wait for comments.

Edited by remist17

It will look a bit stam punk but if you use fitings to bring the air pipe (tuyeer) over the side and down so the outlet is an inch off the bottom and about 3" back from center it should work just fine as a side blast. Less chance of cracking, breaking by trying to drill. This is a tried method used in third wourld areas with drums that have their tops dished. 

Well all I made my first forge. I ended up doing a bottom blast design. Not sure if what I did will work but I tried something. The ring was cast but I cut the holes and took the side down a little. I mixed up some clay to the mix I found on the site. I put a small soup can around the bottom opening and put the clay in around it. Made the area like a valley out to the front. Question what do I put on the hole. I know I need some steel and drill holes in it but do I put clay right up to the hole? Or let it steel?

Kinda embarrassed to post these, but here are some photos. Right its outside until I can build a building for it. Now trying to figure out the hood. Right now it has cost me $32. I seem to not be able to find 12" stove pipe. Everything is 4/6 or8". Can I make a large hood and have a 8" up pipe on the hood?

IMG_20150802_152943731.jpg

IMG_20150802_152931950.jpg

Edited by remist17

New upgrades to the site has a lot of the old picts screwed up/ They are supposed to be working on the problem.  You don't HAVE to have a hood. I don't with mine as I use it outside all the time. It would be nice, but since I move it around, a hood right now is more hassle than it's worth. At worst I set a fan up blowing from behind me towards the forge if the smoke won't clear for whatever reason that day. In reality the smoke is almost never a problem if you manage your fire well.

OK thanks. Clay still wetwet.appreciate all the support.

The wet clay will shrink check as it dries unless you're REALLY lucky, if it doesn't buy a lottery ticket! Just damp enough to squeeze into a hard clump in your hand then rammed hard with a mallet or such makes a nice hard clay liner that lasts a lot longer and won't check.

Frosty The Lucky.