I Forge Iron

Is this a good anvil?

I am looking for my first anvil.  I came across this 70 lb anvil in my area.  The seller wants $450.  Can you please advise if it is a good buy?  I am looking to do light blacksmithing work and eventually some bladesmithing.

Thank you in advance!

The anvil is stamped SWEDEN

70 lb Anvil Marked Sweden, 2.JPG

70 lb Anvil Marked Sweden, 3.JPG

Edited by K-9JAX

Looks like a Kohlswa - you can only just make it out above the "Sweden" 

Good anvils but it is a little on the small side. I think they were cast steel. Swedish anvils seem to carry a premium price in the USA for some reason so I'm not sure if $450 is a good price or not. I'd take cash with me and offer $300 to start the negotiation. 

All the best 

Andy

The anvil's in great shape, but the price is a bit steep for a sub-hundred anvil.  Of course, on the other hand, the anvil is sized such that it will be incredibly easy to move as you move, and you would certainly be able to recoup 50% of the cost if you should decide to sell it in a few years.  Looking at it that way, and realizing that there isn't anything to break on the thing, well.... maybe $450 isn't so bad.

Just make sure to fasten it solidly to as heavy a base as you can.  It might be a lightweight anvil, but it will do for 99% of the jobs you'll ever come across if you have it fastened to the earth so it can't jump and wiggle with every hammer blow.

The price is a little steep even for a cast Swedish steel anvil but not out of the question, especially for the condition. I'm a HUGE fan of Soderfors anvils and a Kohlswa is right up there. It's an excellent size to go portable tool.

Unless one has been through a fire you don't see Swedish cast steel anvils with sway, they're hardened steel all the way through. Chipped edges are common though so if you pick that little princes up be careful not to hit it on the edges with the hammer. Not hard at least.

I like it and would bargain hard.

Frosty The Lucky.