I Forge Iron

Carl Schlasse Anvil. Need Information (picture heavy)

Hello!

I always wanted a England/ London pattern Anvil but it's xxxx hard to find this shape in Germany.

This year holiday will be in Sweden so i thought of buying a new one of Kohlswa as i've heard only good things about them. Then Tubbe was so friendly to help me out with a used one in Sweden which i could snatch. Then i got a very good offer for a monster of a south german pattern anvil... and i ended up with a 108 KG/ 238 lb London/England Pattern (actually i'm not sure about what exactly this pattern is called) Anvil. I got that one for 300€ inclusive shipping.

I did some research for the brand. But the only things i found out are:

- manufactured by Carl Schlasse in Milspe Germany ( by the emblem of the anchor)

- Company is no longer existing, and i can't find to many more information about that.

i couldn't find any information about the quality, manufacturing process, or anything.

Things i know about the one i just purchased:

- Nice sound, no cracks or something like that ( when i saw the picture i was afraid the top plate had already a crack)

- Nice rebound

- The foot isn't really flat ( so i need to lay it into lead)

- Hardy hole looks like never been used... same for pritchel. Bottom of the Pritchel and Hardy holes is quite soft.

- One side saw some work with some chipped corners.

- Hammermarks all around and some holes for handles so maybe wrought. ( Only a guess)

About the quality i can´ t say much as i only got some cleaning done. Now i'm going to blacken the anvil and grind some smooth corners on the chipped parts.

When the anvil is finished i want to build a stand that the anvil can be ash stored ( starts with sand until i got enough ash).

Here are some pictures:

CS1.thumb.jpg.2478e300582ee77753571e667f

That's the way it came to me...

cs2.thumb.jpg.b0a02ff4603dc69534e70718ae

The Emblem

cs3.thumb.jpg.3a29a3d68216d4784afadff88c

Short while after grinding with wire brush

cs4.thumb.jpg.175c26f8631fbed7c7cb8b6dc6

Hardy/ Pritchel Hole

cs5.thumb.jpg.22c8b400296507fcd1d6cd2cbf

Hole for handle

cs7.thumb.JPG.c7713103c8713292b425a60ae2

Bottom with welding.

I will post update of the Process around the anvil.

I hope someone could give me some Information or even has got an own one ( as prices were also nouned in usd so maybe it's quite spread)

Greetings,

Hannes

Hannes: That's a good find a beautiful anvil no doubt. Other than some wire brushing I can't see anything that needs a grinder. The edges look nice and clean what chips there are are more cosmetic than anything else. Dressing them would be for looks rather than function, IMHO that is. It's your anvil.

What are you going to blacken it with?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello!

Crazy Ivan: Thanks for that.

Thomas Powers: I tried my first ball bearing test now. I let a 10mm ( maybe little to small? ) Ball bearing fall from 400mm and it bounced back to 370mm.

Frosty: Okay, i didn't use the heavy grinder on it so far. Just wire brushing and a little bit of smoothing it out with the rotex. For blackening i used a 50/50 mix of stove blacking and hard wax oil to get a matt finish.

matei campan: Mix is more or less only oil and pigments. Hardy holes and the bottom of the foot got only a wax layer.

George Geist: Thanks. Alright no more grinding.

WL smith: I will as soon as i've made a nice stand for it.

First of all:

Here comes the dark side of the chocolate

cs6.thumb.jpg.e22f4e82bf8bc4d96cfe65d607

cs8.thumb.jpg.0ddc264e7a35379eeaa0724ea1

cs9.thumb.jpg.716ad01b5f6db46b480ef24d32

But lucky me that's all. I will get some days work with the anvil and then see if it needs some grinding or not.

Here is the result after blackening process. It isn't that shiny in real. I like this method alot as it prevents further rust, it is not sticky that it attracts dirt and it's a smooth black tone.

cs11.thumb.jpg.f6a738f826405a185780e2b97cs12.thumb.jpg.b9f0236d5084c9fd8f66dd5c9

That's the surface as it is going to stay for a while.

cs10.thumb.jpg.4870fe5a3853dae30729defdc

And as i'm forced to live without the anvil for three weeks now ( it's going to be a hard holiday for me), that is the rest for a while.

cs13.thumb.jpg.3f6bf4ebb4edc658758d59279

I might contact one of the last anvil manufacturers in germany about some history of the anvil and company and i will let you know.

Greetings,

Hannes

Carl Schlasse and Sichelschmidt & Schlasse where registered in the same area, my guess is that that´s the same Schlasse

S&S made London pattern anvils too

Instead of ash you can use scale to increase the density of sand.

Nice anvil, congrats

I have been smithing for over 34 years now and only a couple of my excellent using anvils were/are in better shape than that one.  If those minor wear indicators bother you that much; ship the anvil to me and take up machining where perfection is a plus!

• 7 years later...