I Forge Iron

Post vise mount - Am I on the right track

ThorsHammer82

well yesterday brought me from excitement to frustration. The plan was to pick up the concrete for the mount, and pour within the next week or so. However, fate had a different plan for me. As I was loading the second 80 lbs bag into the truck from the cart my ankle/shin made a very loud "SNAP" noise and now I'm writing this from the comfort of my bed with my foot elevated and iced and waiting until next week some time to get an MRI done because the X-ray didn't show the doctor or myself anything obvious. 

So now it's going to be at least 2-3 weeks before I can get to that perticular project. let alone the other planned projects that I had for this summer... 

No good, BAD blacksmith!! :angry: Go to your room and write "I will NOT do that again" over and over till the doc says you can do stuff gain.

Here's hoping you heal like a young buck and are back at it again soonest.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Frosty. I'm doing everything I can to heal up quickly. Even if that means doing one of the things I hate most in life... Sitting still. My Wife has been a great sport so far, but I've got a pretty strong feeling based on past experience that that will only last so long. 

Just painting the surface with tar, mastic, etc. does nothing for the interior and it will rot out.

Frosty The Lucky.

Eventually. but if there is positive drainage away from it to avoid standing water and the bottom of the post is not sealed so the wood can drain, it is serviceable for decades. I have a 6' shadow box fence that I installed with this method and it is on year 22 with no rot. Had to pull one post to get a bobcat into the back yard and it looked like the day I put it in. reset in a new hole and repoured the concrete.

so the combination of being stir crazy, the little lady being tired of waiting on me, and my brother being voluntold to come over and help with another project, We got the concrete poured and of course the posts in the ground. Got a lot of help from my step son and my father in law lent me the use of his power mixer which made the concrete a breeze. Now I've just got to really heal up before I spend to much time on my feet. I was able to walk around without crutches for a bit this evening. but I'm feeling it now and think tomorrow I'm going to be paying for my transgressions. but hey, The posts are set and now it's just a matter of waiting for the concrete to cure before I throw the vise on there and attach the post anvil after figuring out exactly how I plan to attach it. (Thinking two flat stock straps should do nicely.)

Thank you all for the advice and tips. I treated the posts with wet seat roof sealant liberally then wrapped that in landscaping cloth so as to minimize the amount that stuck to those helping with the project.  The three posts were coated and secured to each other then the outside of the all were coated well. and left the bottom untreated.

You can still buy copper sulfate. It works good to flush down the toilet to kill tree roots.

If you're not on a septic system.

It's also good stuff to copper plate stuff. It used to come in the chemistry sets your parents regretted buying you for your birthday or Christmas. I loved copper plating stuff like . . . The dinner wear, Dad's Allen wrenches, etc. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Well they've got me in a walking boot and so I decided to mount the vise on the post. Next I'll make a pedestal for the leg, and mount the post anvil. I set it on the post to check height tonight and tapped it a couple of times to check rebound. That thing rings like a bell. will definitely be putting some caulking under the base and on the straps. I should have the Anvil mounted on Saturday. I'll take pictures then.

Edited by ThorsHammer82

Well She's just about done. Still need to cut and dress the RR track and mount it on the notch. But for all intents and purposes, the mount, the vise, and the Post Anvil are ready for me to find some time to get some coal burning. Just strapping the Post Anvil to the wood securely quieted it down by probably 50% so I decided Not to mess around with the caulk. Let me know what you guys think.

Managed to get my kids, and my niece and nephew's hand prints in the base when we poured.

Thank you again to Larry (monstermetals) for helping me find my first Post Vise. I plan on putting it to many years of good use.

Post Vise 1.jpeg

Post Vise 2.jpeg

Edited by ThorsHammer82

So far I've only really used it "cold". Used it to straighten some bars. Bent a really quick and dirty dinner triangle. used the vise to hold some metal for grinding. Can't fire up the forge right now for fear of setting the rest of the state on fire. current burn ban in "NO FIRES WHAT SO EVER!"

So far I've only really used it "cold". Used it to straighten some bars. Bent a really quick and dirty dinner triangle. used the vise to hold some metal for grinding. Can't fire up the forge right now for fear of setting the rest of the state on fire. current burn ban in "NO FIRES WHAT SO EVER!"

Yeah, don't be THAT guy.

Frosty The Lucky.