I Forge Iron

A Newbie needs some help!

evbob

Being volcanic islands Japan has never had a reliable source of coal and they're very much into "traditional" method. Bamboo grows frighteningly fast and makes fine charcoal. Their forges are typically long deep and narrow.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charcoal forges are a pleasure to use if you do it right. It burns much quicker than coke/ coal but it is on the whole a much more pleasant fuel to use. 

EvBob - check out making your own charcoal, if you are able to do so it will be better quality than store bought stuff which is often made from African hardwoods and generally not "good" charcoal. I made my own from pallets for a while which was great but there is a lot of smoke produced when you make the charcoal (not very neighbour friendly) 

As has been pointed out you need very little air flow for a charcoal forge. Too much air and you will burn up a lot of fuel. 

The 8" deep fire thing is a myth though. Looking forward to seeing pics of your forge. 

Andy

Edited by Everything Mac

Evobob,

I use lump wood charcoal for my medieval re-enactments, I burn through a bag the size you showed in a weekend (about 8+ hours of forge work).  My first guess would be your putting too much air to your fire, second would be that you're getting a cross breeze that is burning up your charcoal while your working your metal.  My first forge was about the size you state your is.  I then used fire brick to create an area about 10 inches in diameter in the center ( mine was a flat plate with 1 inch sides).  I use a small 2 gallon bucket and will load with about half of it, then work for 1 1/2 to 2 hours without topping up more that a couple of handfuls.  the times I burn through more is when I get a med to strong cross wind and my charcoal is burning while I am working at the anvil.  I've never used the Royal Oak brand of charcoal. but I have found that the supermarket lump wood is not good quality (mostly mangrove wood)  I have found that good local hardwood charcoal is the best.  See if you can find mesquite or oak charcoal.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.