I Forge Iron

I've been reading up on patina for 5160, and I've seen several things suggested.  I'm chopping up a partially finished 5160 greatsword to make a few hunting knives.  I'm looking for a deep gray, almost black, that will stand up well to use for things like cutting brush, and even light chopping on a HT blade.  Most often I've seen vinegar soak, PCB etchant, and gun bluing suggested for dark patinas.  I've also found that gun blue won't work on some tougher steels and most stainless.  Do you have any experience with a patina on 5160?  What is your favorite? Why?

Just send them to me, any that survive my destructive "testing" will have a nice dark patina ;-) 

I would think that gun bueing would give you the most consistant results. The steel you are using isnt particularly exotic. As to durability? Yeah right. The only thing that holds up is the patina that comes with age and use. 

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

If you want black, "Parkerize" it. Phosphoric acid leaves a nice BLACK phosphoric oxide finish. Follow with oil or wax sealant. I believe you can sand or rub the phosphoric oxide patina down for various degrees between black and steel before sealing.

Frosty The Lucky.

If you want black, "Parkerize" it. Phosphoric acid leaves a nice BLACK phosphoric oxide finish. Follow with oil or wax sealant. I believe you can sand or rub the phosphoric oxide patina down for various degrees between black and steel before sealing.

Frosty The Lucky.

I generally heat my stuff to 250F before I oil it.  This may be a dumb question, but will the heat effect a phosphoric patina?

I probably misspoke calling phosphoric acid patina "Parkerizing." Phosphoric acid is inherently dangerous stuff like any strong acid you MUST wear PPE and use proper equipment. It's especially dangerous if spilled on concrete the reaction can be very violent. It's maybe a better idea to use a formula and process laid out by pros.

I'm thinking Thomas's recommendation of the book on bluing is a better bet than recipes listed by some guy on the internet.

I believe, "I saw a guy on the internet do this." will join the famous last words like, "hold my beer, watch this," before long.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

• 1 month later...

Hahaha frosty I've heard and seen the results of hold my beer, and watch this way to many times lol

Yeah, life is full of lessons, I just try not to learn directly. About holding your beer. Your Avatar looks like someone with his/er head on fire, that isn't a picture of you is it?  I can spit fire, hold my beer, watch THIS!

Frosty The Lucky.