I Forge Iron

About 2 months ago I went to a local auction to try to win a JEB Austrian anvil that came in a lot from the Czech Republic. I had a $500 limit but it sold for $600. I was absolutely heartbroken when I didn't win it and was pretty sure I would never get a shot at one that size again and for less than $1000.

Well, I signed up to receive email from them and in another lot from the Czech Republic was another one very similar to the first. I went to bid on it tonight and I won it for $300.00!!

I can't even describe how ecstatic I am to have this anvil in my garage! It weighs 246 lbs, rebound is good, and it has a pretty large sweet spot! The first one had a dished face, as many Austrian anvils do, but not this one!

Here are some pics of the first one that I didn't win and mine.IMG_20150501_121931.thumb.jpg.ddacd1df88These first two pics are of the one I didn't win.IMG_20150630_231911.thumb.jpg.d56d2608b9IMG_20150630_231554.thumb.jpg.b2d61d84dbIMG_20150630_232549.thumb.jpg.5180c977b4IMG_20150501_122632.thumb.jpg.00ccc085aaIMG_20150630_231523.thumb.jpg.2d82dc4ab1IMG_20150630_232243.thumb.jpg.fd90eaf275

She looks good from here Anthony, congratulations. I can see a few generations of good work being done on that fine lady. My favorite picture is the one showing such a beautiful smile on the sweety. Beautiful girl.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Anthony,

You had real good luck with missing the other and buying this one. 

JEB is the second most common anvil around here, so I have seen a few. They all look like the one you haven't got. But the other with those wide church windows.... It's surely a rarity and as far as I know way more older design. (I have no proof on this argument but some tendencies show in that way.)

If I may suggest don't "repair" her, just some oiling and use will do her fine, and that way you can conserve its original state.

Congratulations and happy hammering!

Gergely

She looks good from here Anthony, congratulations. I can see a few generations of good work being done on that fine lady. My favorite picture is the one showing such a beautiful smile on the sweety. Beautiful girl.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Frosty. I can't wait to start forging on it. That is also my favorite picture. She's daddy's princess. Daddy (me) is blessed so much as to have 4 princesses!

Hi Anthony,

You had real good luck with missing the other and buying this one. 

JEB is the second most common anvil around here, so I have seen a few. They all look like the one you haven't got. But the other with those wide church windows.... It's surely a rarity and as far as I know way more older design. (I have no proof on this argument but some tendencies show in that way.)

If I may suggest don't "repair" her, just some oiling and use will do her fine, and that way you can conserve its original state.

Congratulations and happy hammering!

Gergely

Thanks Gergely. I was thinking about that same thing, about my luck with missing the other one and winning this one. If I had won the other one I probably wouldn't even have been looking for this one, which I like more and sold for half the price of the other one!

The only thing I want to do with her is hammer hot steel on her, I have no intention of "repairing" her.

I had to sneek a small ball peen hammer into the auction house to test the rebound before I bid on her, because I was afraid that if I asked they would tell me I couldn't tap on the face and then I would have no idea about the rebound until after I bought it. I got about 12 taps over the entire face without anybody paying attention and was very happy that it passed. Now I need to get to hammering on her!

JEB also made other different pattern anvils, I think your's rather a German pattern than Austrian (Styrian?). I also saw several southern-german pattern ones. so I don't think yours is forcefully older, just another pattern in their range.

here's another JEB anvil, a monster of about 350kg (?) that I know from a long time that's for sale. when I wanted to buy it, they asked a price that I didn't afford and meanwhile I changed my tastes - I prefer double horned anvils

IMG_8761_zps90c5f46b.jpg

Gorgeous anvil!  I've been wanting one in that style for ages, but never have the money.  

There's something about those lines that just make it look like an anvil should look.

Thanks. When I saw the first one I fell in love with the style. I never imagined that I'd get another shot at one at a good price.

You must be living right Anthony. 4 daughters to give you grey hair when they get into their teens and the luck to miss one anvil and win the second. We call what happened on your anvil hunt "Serendipity," it's when unintended consequences turn out good. A little wire brushing and some oil or wax won't do her any harm, glad we don't have to tell you no grinding.  ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

JEB also made other different pattern anvils, I think your's rather a German pattern than Austrian (Styrian?). I also saw several southern-german pattern ones. so I don't think yours is forcefully older, just another pattern in their range.

here's another JEB anvil, a monster of about 350kg (?) that I know from a long time that's for sale. when I wanted to buy it, they asked a price that I didn't afford and meanwhile I changed my tastes - I prefer double horned anvils

IMG_8761_zps90c5f46b.jpg

Hello Matei. That anvil looks fantastic and if it was for sale and accessible to me I would probably be doing everything I could to make it mine!

I'm not trying to disagree with you at all, because I don't know for sure and it seems like there are more JEB anvils where you are at, but I thought stepped feet and church windows were a characteristic of Austrian design.

Either way, I love it!

You must be living right Anthony. 4 daughters to give you grey hair when they get into their teens and the luck to miss one anvil and win the second. We call what happened on your anvil hunt "Serendipity," it's when unintended consequences turn out good. A little wire brushing and some oil or wax won't do her any harm, glad we don't have to tell you no grinding.  ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes sir. Four princesses. The oldest is 20 and the one in the picture is my second oldest. She's 8.

No grinding, that's for sure! I know there is a certain wax that you recommend. What is it called, please?

Hi Anthony,

I responded to you on FB and no worries about bidding against me - I like my current anvil and always looking for a deal if it comes along but I'll check with you first.;)

Hollis

I was kidding, Mr Wooldridge. I would just be a little upset, not pretty upset. Lol

I'm like you in that I also like my current anvils for there own special uniqueness and purpose. I now have 3. An 82 lb Hay Budden, a 125 lb Mousehole forge and this one. Probably all that I'll ever need. But that isn't going to prevent me from keeping my eye open for a good deal.

Edited by Anthony San Miguel

Yes sir. Four princesses. The oldest is 20 and the one in the picture is my second oldest. She's 8.

No grinding, that's for sure! I know there is a certain wax that you recommend. What is it called, please?

I like furniture or floor paste Carnuba wax. I have a can of "Trewax" but there are other brands, Bowling Ally wax is one I believe. Plain old Johnson's paste wax furniture polish is a good quality and durable finish for all kinds of iron work.

Frosty The Lucky.

I bought many years ago an anvil of this style, much smaller and in very poor condition, one day I will try to make it usable again.

it is about 50kg / 112lb, it has been broken and badly welded and has lost most of the hard surface on the horn and table.

it has terraced feet, the angled shelf on one side but no church windows.

will look for a pic and post it later

I like furniture or floor paste Carnuba wax. I have a can of "Trewax" but there are other brands, Bowling Ally wax is one I believe. Plain old Johnson's paste wax furniture polish is a good quality and durable finish for all kinds of iron work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks. I'll pick up one of those products tonight at Home Depot when I go buy something to make a stand.

Now, if I built a stand that consisted of a wooden frame with a reinforced wooden top would I reduce rebound from using a solid stand like a tree stump or a bunch of 4x6s glued and screwed together. The metal stands aren't solid and I know they are popular but would wood work the same? 

I don't want to lose out on any rebound.

I bought many years ago an anvil of this style, much smaller and in very poor condition, one day I will try to make it usable again.

it is about 50kg / 112lb, it has been broken and badly welded and has lost most of the hard surface on the horn and table.

it has terraced feet, the angled shelf on one side but no church windows.

will look for a pic and post it later

I would like to see it. There is something about these anvils that I find majestic looking.

@ Anthony San Miguel - about that huge anvil - about 10 years ago when I first saw it, I was crazy about that anvil, I was dreaming it day and night, but didn't have the money. at the time I had just only one little JEB anvil (classic austrian one). now, after growing addicted to the double horned anvils, that anvil has more a "have to have that" appeal to me than working potential. for the money they are asking I could buy an absolutely gorgeous French double horn anvil of a close weight, including shipping cost for 2000+km distance. for example I bought one for 150 euros, ~150kg, forged, "pig feet" pattern, good condition with a very nice squared oak stump. it has a "museum look" even that's a user. shipping was free (a friend brought it for me).

anyway, the one you won has more appeal to me than the one you missed, and they are more rare even in EU, as I have seen. it looks like a sculpture. that one you missed is most common and and a bit boring to me :) . for US may look exotic as the London pattern looks around here.

so congratulations and enjoy yourself using it!