I Forge Iron

Neck Knives

j.w.s.

Here's a few neck knives I did out of 1080. I'm working on developing something relatively fast to make, a consistent look and with a low price point. One of the things about working the shows I do, just because there's 15,000 people on a weekend doesn't mean that it's 15,000 people willing to drop a few hundred on a hand forged knife, so enter the $60-$75 price range neck knife. So here's a few pictures of some of the ones I made this past week. Sold 3 over the weekend and it was torrential downpours for most of it, so I'll have to wait until PARF starts in August to really make a determination whether or not these are a "thing". :) I'm wrapping the handles with bamboo cord or hemp cord, then dipping them in clear lacquer to give it a little more resistance to abuse. Keeping the overall look on the rough side, just concentrating on the cutting edges with the sander. The sheaths are just two small pieces of leather, 2 eyelets and a rivet - even with the stitching and dying they take about 10 minutes to throw together from start to finish.

-J

DSC00186.thumb.JPG.d1bee36a5290d1953bffaDSC00181.thumb.JPG.353499c2a098fab014103DSC00182.thumb.JPG.b53554a8acbdbe0c23396DSC00183.thumb.JPG.e5527639f7aef44061383DSC00184.thumb.JPG.6dab3905728ada20c9267

Edited by j.w.s.

Overall is 5.5", the blade length is 2.625". I've got a couple variations in the works as well. The idea is to make 10 of them fast, little effort and keep the price marginally above the Pakistani blades for sale around the corner but far below most of my other hand forged fixed blade knives. Give the customer something made by a person they met and got to talk with that's a decent alternative to something cranked out en mass in an over sea factory.

-J

Ah, the pic with the customer gives me the scale and I can stop thinking of the neck part of the name as the sheath. I can see the attraction, sort of a pendant with attitude.  I like them better now I have a handle on what they are.

Frosty The Lucky.

and have a bag of Hershey Kisses in a box so she could give them out ( if that is the type of kiss she wants to give that customer)

I would think the moddle wold be a great selling point...

"free kiss with every sale"...

Lol.. you guys do realize she's a customer not a model?.. just because she's cute and all.. :) Next time I see her around faire I'll have to let her know she's going to be my next knife show model. Time to start going the way of the trade show I guess.. it's no longer about who makes a great knife you'd like to have, but more about the bikini babe's they have selling them.. hehe.. and maybe a few Hershey's Kisses to sweeten the deal.

-J

I'm a terrable  lier, so take it to the bank. Raised two girls, always ticles me proid to see a dad loving his kids. Any one clue yiu in on your most imprtaint duty?

For my daughter, my first duty is to be a good daddy, not a perfect one, but a good one. Fair, loving, supportive and encouraging.. my second is to ensure that she never dates until she's out of college, has a good head on her shoulders and is able to fend for herself. After that, I'll slowly start considering allowing her to date.. As for my son, he's 15, and I already found him a good girl that will keep him on the straight and narrow, plus give him a good kick in the pants when he needs it,. and she's testing this summer for her 2nd degree in tang soo do, so I have no doubt she can woop him when he needs it, and according to both of them "they're just friends" which is even better in my book, but those two are as thick as thieves... lol :)

-J

You know way more than I do, as apparent by your product! But I'd like to suggest something.

Have you considered folding the sheaths from a single piece? Putting the fold right where the rivet is? I think it would add a nice touch, and not cost you any time or money.

Anywho... I like the rivet in the sheath, I don't like the idea of it but it looks nice. Good job!