I Forge Iron

The Dragon's Fang

VaughnT

On June 24, 2015 at 3:19 PM, Frosty said:

You have me thinking of war hammers again. I'm thinking basing one on a T Rex tooth with a raptor toe claw on the Pol side and a Norwal tusk for the pike. All appropriate: serrations, sharp edges, points and twists of course. Be a fun build.

I've always liked the war hammers modeled on a weapon in a fist a dagger in a fist on it's arm comes to mind.

Frosty The Lucky.

I would NOT recommend Narwal tusk for the pike. When I was working in the art restoration studio, one of my coworkers was carrying an antique Narwal tusk across the room when one end made contact with the ceiling fan. One little tap, and ivory shrapnel was EVERYWHERE.

On February 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Forging Carver said:

So Is the root texture from using a welder and just making some beads, or do you actually burn the steel?

No burning, just really bad welding, doing everything wrong that you could imagine.  You have to use the rod like a paint brush, going over places two or three times, to create that organic look.  The substrate of the root is just little odd pieces found in the pile of stuff every shop has.  A rusty bolt, a weird angle cut from a larger project, anything to take up some space and give you something to blob your beads on.  

• 4 months later...

Great piece, so simple yet inspired it's given me lots of ideas.:wub:

I live on a island full of fossils (honestly we use them as door stops here:rolleyes:) another new species was found only 20miles from here last month. I've been looking at something that way inclined as a garden sculpture and that would make some great spines/teeth/fang's etc.

Thanks for the inspiration.;)

I love how you put in so much detail! it almost looks real, although I don't know what a dragons fang looks like, but if I did it would look like that. very nice!

Littleblacksmith

• 2 years later...

Had to go on another hunt a few months back.  Got my arm scorched a bit from the caustic saliva on these beasts, but I was victorious in the end!

fullsizeoutput_76e.thumb.jpeg.c6bc9f58c848174d8d94e080cc9154b8.jpegfullsizeoutput_767.thumb.jpeg.80aeae46fa2e47ea37e80a1c5c5322e5.jpeg

Scrub and brush however you like, you're just not getting the stains out after they've been baked deep into the enamel for years and years!

fullsizeoutput_76c.thumb.jpeg.8639da17885e089a5240045317d924dc.jpeg