I Forge Iron

The Dragon's Fang

VaughnT

I get bored with run-of-the-mill projects and have to do something a bit different every now and then.  This time, I was motivated by a buddy's birthday celebration and had the idea to make him something pretty different because he likes dragons and fights in the SCA.  His birthday party was done up in a knights/fighting theme with all of his SCA buddies showing up for beer, brats and bashing each other on the field of glory.

Contrary to popular lore, knights in shining armor were actually pretty bad at killing dragons.  Of course, they were also the wealthy upper-crust and could manipulate the histories to suit their tastes much like you see today with all the PR spin going on.

Blacksmiths, on the other hand, have long been used to dealing with heat, flames and such.  And generally being a grumpy bunch of men, well, I'm sure it comes as no surprise that the local blacksmith might be called upon to dispatch an uppity wyrm.

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

I REALLY like that.  Totally impractical as a knife or weapon as it'd be difficult to grip well enough... but I still just LOVE IT.  I'd be proud to own it and I'm sure your buddy will be, too.    What's the size on it, I can't really tell from anything in the picture, no point of reference.    

Thanks, Spanky.

The enamel portion is about 6" long and the root adds another 3".  You can see that the tooth is scratched pretty deeply from all the armor-clad knights this dragon munched on in its day.  Kind of sad that so many knights had to die before they deigned to call a blacksmith in to wallop the beastie with a hammer.  :(

IMG_2800.JPG

Jim, those sickle tines would probably work great, but I started with 1"x1/2" mild steel and forged it to shape.  The trick to making these look right is to use two angles of taper on the tooth.  The tooth tapers a little bit until the mid point where you think the curve is really going to start, then the angle changes to taper to the point.  If you do a straight taper from front to back, it will look off even if you can't consciously point to why.

I've had a few requests for more and will be playing around with different sizes and root types.  You just never know what it is that will grab a customer's interest!

You have me thinking of war hammers again. I'm thinking basing one on a T Rex tooth with a raptor toe claw on the Pol side and a Norwal tusk for the pike. All appropriate: serrations, sharp edges, points and twists of course. Be a fun build.

I've always liked the war hammers modeled on a weapon in a fist a dagger in a fist on it's arm comes to mind.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

I managed to burn a piece of 12 x 12mm square last week, and the blob at the end looked almost like your fang, so here is my version.

Jacques, that is absolutely fantastic!  You can tell your dragon was just as bad as mine when it comes to dental hygiene!

We had another dragon getting rather uppity and bothering the local cattle herds.  So the guy that runs the spread called me up last week to give them a hand dispatching the critter.

IMG_2856.jpg

• 4 months later...

Normally, I will forge out the taper of the tooth and then cut it free from the parent bar so I can use little pieces of scrap (like we all have lying around) to form the skeleton of the root portion.  This time, however, the piece of 1/2x1 stock I started with was simply split down the middle for a few inches and spread open to form the underlying structure to weld on.  Can't say that I'm 100% satisfied with how the root came out, but it'll definitely do for now! :D  

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

• 1 month later...

More a molar than a fang, this little girl is from the back of the lower mandible.  You can see all the grunge cooked on by the hot dragon's breath.  Not much smells worse than putrified dwarf baked on a dragon's tooth!  

12631288_1658289344421534_29422020011350

Now I need to figure out a way to glue a bunch of bones together to make a nice display stand.

IMG_3801.JPG

Something in the last pict looks "odd" compared to the one above. I think it's how the center line of the bevels is on that one compared to the other side above. Pict above with the tip of the tooth pointed left looks and feels "right" while the last pict seems awkward for some reason.

Shape reminds me of those big fossilized Megladon shark teeth that they dig up down around NC.