I Forge Iron

Just to give you an idea of how expensive anvils are here in Australia, this little gem appeared on Gumtree. A 112 lb BK anvil for $2000. That's nearly $20 a pound for a pretty ordinary lump of steel.

2000 BK.JPG

And how mutch to get a pendenhas from your local rigid tool dealer (around here the big box stores cary rigid, and can order anvils threw them, and as reigid is one of the primary manufacurers for powerd pipe threaders plumbing supply and around hear oild feild suply houses carry them). It cant be much more expensive to import them from Germany to AU tham to the US. Why pay that for "used" when you can by new for the same or less?

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

2€ per kg (2.91AUD) is considered a reasonable price here in Germany. Although we're seeing more and more ridiculous offers lately (ebay and similars), probably private sellers who've seen other overpriced anvils and advertised their own for just a little bit more.

A lot of folks confuse the asking price vs the selling price. They see anvils with outrageous asking prices and think that is what people are getting where in reality those folks are getting time and effort spent but no sales; save that every once in a while you get a clueless person who shells out the money cause the *SELLER* tells him it's a good deal---which then encourages the seller to go fishing for idiots again and re enforces the cycle  

Edited by ThomasPowers

I ditto Thomas and add that I don't pay for old. Folk think an anvil must be an antique and really valuable.

It's human nature to want to get as much as possible on any trade, be it a fish for a piece of flint or an anvil for dollars. I've always figured if the other half of a swap doesn't squeal a little at my counter I countered too much.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wow that is a record asking price, interesting to see what they  get , I have one just like it:D There does not seem to be that logical relationship between wt = $ anymore.I put a post up awhile ago from ebay  bk anvil only 7 lbs actually went for $331.60 including post.