I Forge Iron

Just a small thought! Try golf shops for gloves they sell them as individuals but there are ones made for both left and right handedness.

Both my stepsons were in the shop at 10 or thereabouts, they weren't into the blacksmith side they just wanted to weld and cut metal. I took the opportunity to teach them about lifting with rope-blocks and using rollers and levers to move heavy machines about etc.  they had fun but some of my staff were a bit chipped finding their machines moved on a Monday morning(it isn't fun putting them back so the boys didn't) many of those lessons learnt give a lifetime's worth of advantage. I don't think the risk is great if you teach your son safety first and then come down on him pretty hard if he doesn't follow the right procedures.  Our boys had 2 stroke dirt bikes and air rifles at that age and those are far more dangerous than most give them credit for. Pain can be a great teacher but it's your job to ensure that its small and not permanent. Small cuts, bruises and burns teach one to be cautious so try(and I know its hard) not to mollycoddle him too much, and track him to have fun!  

He is still growing, lol. Not all of us are born jocks, i always grew in spurts, just about the time I figured out how to walk with out triping over my own feet I'd grow again (not nesisaraly all parts at once, neither!).

i hyjacked mom's hairdryer and the hibochi in 6th grade, kigsforg makes misrable forge fuel, lol, spend time to gether, strike for each other, let him work on small projects, he will be ok, reminf him a couple of times, but keep a buket off cool water redy

I guess the Simi come was to frosty. Got confused who was who while I was reading the posts. Sorry frosty.  :)

​OH don't be sorry, If my rambling doesn't confuse you now and then I'm not doing it right. I think the cautions about working with power tools is about covered though I have to agree about lose anything while working rotary tools, drill press, buff or wire wheels, metal spinning lathe, etc. long hair lose cuffs, shirt tails, etc. is grounds for yelling if a person doesn't get wrapped up in the tool.

Let me know I can tell you some stories about smithing around camp fires with whatever's to be found.

Frosty The Lucky.

Here is the shop glasses I got my 8 year old son. They are comfortable, and wrap around his face. Have not found any good gloves yet. He uses my leather gloves. I like to use 1/4 square stock with him because it's easy to move, bend or twist, you can also make a lot of different projects with it.  I use long stock so we don't have to use tongs to hold it. I have done most of the holding up to now, I'm starting to let him bring metal in and out of the forge. I found it's also good to have a game plan of what we are going to do, and even practice with a cold piece of metal before hand.  

Scouts are great my son is a cub scout, had his scout group over last year to make slingshots for there wood working project.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DPG82-11C-Concealer-Anti-Fog-Safety/dp/B000RKQ1NI

Those look like outstanding safety glasses!! I think you're on top of the game plan for bringing your son into the craft. I don't know if we can add much but details or possible project ideas.

You're doing great. My compliments to the boy for his selection in parents!

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Gloves are easy to sew, try turning a set of small driving gloves inside out and shorten the fingers. I know they make them because dad used to bring them home for mom. Turning them back rightside out is optinal, dad and I have several pair of mismached ones (two lefts, one turned inside out) check places like welding suplies, grangers, fastenall etc.