I Forge Iron

stainless damascus

I have gotten high carbon pattern welding down and want to try stainless damascus mostly for jewery.  I have both coal and propane forges.  Have question about steels and sourceing it.  I have read and read and still have a few questions.  Want to work with AEB-L and 19c27 or 304.  They look difficult to soucre in bars or flat stock.  Anyone know a source that sells smaller quantities

304 is common, even MSC sells up to 6' bars if IIRC. Looks like you are near the water. Find a marine fabricator. You only need what would amount to tiny scraps. Stainless bolts from a hardware store are most likely 304. 

304 is commonly used above the waterline in commercial applications. '

316 is used below the waterline and most all parts of pleasure boats. 

The two alloys are very similar with the 316 being more corrosion resistant especially at higher temps and that characteristic may work against you in a forge welding situation but I don't know that for certain. 

Just be aware the FLOURINE containing fluxes that are effective breaking down the chrome in SS are seriously toxic as is the hexavalent chrome fumes. Use GREAT ventilation at a minimum.

Frosty The Lucky.