I Forge Iron

Bending arch for trellis

I am working on building a trellis for a landscape project for a customer and am wonder the best way to bend the arch for the top of it with limited gear do have a welder for making a temp jig my original thought was to bend it around a 55 gal drum.  Working with a 55 forge can get a decent size heat on but would have to work in stages. How would cold bending be or should I heat. It is 3/8 sq by the way any tips would be greatly appreciated

The size mat'l your working with can easily be bent around any form for a trellis by hand cold - your form will need to be somewhere around 10-15% smaller in diameter for allowance of spring back after bending. (this is just an approximate starting point, as every different cross section of metal will vary a bit on spring back)

As others have said, wood/plywood is easy to work. If I want a really nice clean arch, I take a scrap piece of 1x or plywood strip and attach it to the base of my 1/2" router with a good spiral bit. Then I screw thru the strip at the radius and  at the plywood using the center point of my arch and cut away.It swings around in a nice clean radius vs say cutting it out with the jig saw.

Greetings Nick.

How big is the diameter of your circle arch?

Draw the arch out on the shop floor for reference .  Form up a 1/4 x 1  ... 1/4 of the ID of the circle..  Cross brace..  Clamp the stock on the form.. Heat your 3/8 stick with a torch about 8 in at a time and bend over the form. When you have finished 1/2 your arch just flip it over to complete your arch.  You will not have to deal with spring back with this method. One word of caution watch the transition point from the circle to the upright it's easy to over bend .. You can with ease form up the 1/4 in form on the anvil edge .. Total time with this method about 2 hrs. 

I hope this helps 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim