I Forge Iron

My third forge

AnthonyG

Hello again.

This is my current forge and it works quite well, but burns epic amounts of coke and is hard to use for anything longer than 12". I've been doing some reading and I can see where we went wrong when I built this one.

So I've been thinking of converting it into something more like this:

http://www.blksmth.com/forge_my_portable.htm

Does anyone have any opinions of this forge?

Would anyone be interested in a build diary?

cheers

IMG_20150516_161530454_HDR.jpg

Slit the sides so you can get the work in horizontally to the hot spot with a reasonable sized fire and go! Though the table forge is usable for a wider range of smithing tasks.  (I could build your forge into a billet welder that would be very excellent indeed!)

What do you think a build diary would add to this site?

If Im honest Im not that sure what a build diary would add :) Might it be helpful for other new starters?

I'd never heard of billet welding, but it quick google makes it look like you could, it does look more suited to that. I think I'll put in the corner of the shed and save it for future use.

Anthony: A build diary adds to your future history by documenting what you did, what did and didn't work and how it did so. This really helps keep you from making the same mistake more than once and can help point out where a mistake on one design is just the ticket on another. A proper diary needs to include drawings from concept sketches, build drawings, build photos and operational photos.

I know it sounds like a lot but it's really a lot less work than making the same mistakes repeatedly.

Frosty The Lucky.

But does he need to put it on the web?  While I like ones posted by masters of a process with such things as the "whys and special tricks" included; getting everybody who decides to make something posting tends to hide the useful ones in a pile of "I've never done this before but this is how you do it"s.  

Even the postings by people who are really really good can cause issues with people trying to duplicate things that were actually controlled by what was in the builder's scrap pile.  The junkyard hammer build that used a cast iron engine block for example, not the best choice at all and people are asking what kind of engine block so they can use the same...

Most of us can only forge about 6" of hot steel, so a fire about the size of your two fists put to gether is all you need unless your heating an anvil. A deapth of 3" or so is usualy sufficent. As TP points 

Now you do want a bit of room around your fire, say a 24-36 ( a foot to a foot or so around the fire) inch table. To hold tools, stock and fuel. Glenn's 55 forge (simple bottom blast or side blast are good examples of inexpensive workable forges, Iron Dwarf makes a nice simple box forge reminisant of the old calvary forges, a sheet steel oil drain pan will work with some sand or dirt so the coating dosnt get hot and burn off. Most od us over think it when we start out, tho as TP points out with a little modification you can have a nice little welding fernace. 

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

depending on what im working on I can get 3 days work using 20kg of coke but working on big stuff I use up to a bag in an 8 hour day.

How much are you burning in 8 hours?

​I had it running for about 2-3hours and burnt 12.5kg

It has a grate in the bottom that gets air all the way to the sides, I think the fire is just too big for what I need.

I agree with Frosty, TP and Charles. I probably am over thinking things, maybe the design isnt as critical as I think it is or at least wont be for me.  I will go with a firepot about 9inches square and 3 inches deep. Try and keep along the lines of the Glenn's 55 and I should be fine.

Honestly a fire pot isnt nesisary, a ducknest works, just put a great in the bottom of a pan, put 3 or 4" of dirt in the pan, dig out o bowl (down to the grate) and wala, or alternantly put 3" inches of dirt in to bottom, poke  a pipe in the side, put 3" mor dirt in and dig your bowl so the pipe is an inch off the bottom. Ash or sand works as well. More than one way to skin a cat, and with dirt you can exprriment with different fire pot shapes and sizes easaly. 

But does he need to put it on the web?  While I like ones posted by masters of a process with such things as the "whys and special tricks" included; getting everybody who decides to make something posting tends to hide the useful ones in a pile of "I've never done this before but this is how you do it"s.  

Even the postings by people who are really really good can cause issues with people trying to duplicate things that were actually controlled by what was in the builder's scrap pile.  The junkyard hammer build that used a cast iron engine block for example, not the best choice at all and people are asking what kind of engine block so they can use the same...

​I was referring more to a notebook you keep handy in the shop or on a shelf more than something online. I used to have a memory good enough to only need to note really piddly details or radically different ideas. Not so now, I have a big chalk board to set up in the shop.

I look forward to looking at pics of builds a person is having trouble with, I like trouble shooting or brainstorming. I do however wish the other guys who've never done a thing but rush to add their opinions would remember why God gave us, two ears, two eyes and ONE mouth.

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Frosty The Lucky.

I figured you were talking bout a shop notebook; handy thing to have to trace out designs, list dimensions of cut stock so you can do the same for the next one---even if that's a year on down the road.  Record what you bought and for how much, what you sold and for how much. etc and so on, USW...

(and not to forget the handy source of a piece of paper to light the coal or propane forge with...)

Edited by ThomasPowers

• 4 weeks later...

As far as the build diary goes I don't think its a bad idea I am always forgetting how I did something and the next one comes out different. I don't think putting it online is such a bad idea either as long as you have done some research before hand. Regardless of experience there is always the potential to learn from how others do something. Whether it be from there mistakes or just a different way of thinking.