I Forge Iron

looking for ceramic fiber blanket and metal bucket to finish my portable forge

Hi everyone! 

I'm building my first forge and I've got most everything except the ceramic heat blanketing and the metal cylinder to house it in... also having trouble finding firebrick. If anyone near me can help with any of these, or punt me in the right direction (besides the Internet) it would of course help out a lot. 

I'm in jupiter, Florida. Just got here from Scotland and don't know the place well. 

Sorry if this post is to the point but I've been running around in real life and online all day looking for this stuff and I'm getting a bit drawn...

Edited by timelourd
stuff

How big are you planning on building it? I know lowes and homedepot around here sell new clean metal paint cans for pretty cheap. It'll be quite small but with a good burner and properly insulated it'll make a dandy little gas forge. You can even stack them end to end and make it longer if need be. I second Wayne Coe for insulation and lining.

Hey thank you for the tips guys. I'll contact Wayne Coe. 

M Cochran: thanks.  Pretty small. I'm traveling across the county and am storing it in my conversion van just to use when I stop here and there for small projects. 

I suppose I can stop by Home Depot again. They just kind of look at me like I'm some sort of lunatic when I describe what I need for my forge, but if I know they have unused paint cans I can be more specific. Good idea.

Depot/Lowes should sell empty paint cans in the paint department. They also sell metal buckets, though they are galvanized. Those are either in paints, or with the cleaning supplies, it varies by location. I don't know a simple source for larger metal 5 gallon cans. The ones we used to get came with a solvent based sealer in them. There are two kinds one with the fixed top with a  spout, typical of solvents like Xylene/acetone etc, and those with a crimped on lid, either with or with out a spout like our sealer cam in or many roof and driveway coatings use. You might be able to locate empty ones thru an industrial supplier like McMaster Carr or Graingers. I know I was looking  at various sizes of new drums and buckets from one or another of those companies years ago looking to build a smoker for a friend.