I Forge Iron

Cosmetics in steel for a home

yves

Mainly, the job (limited budget) was to hide the joint between the beams.

The offensive joint:

DSC05394.thumb.JPG.c1c061d012b7c6fc1027b

This is what you saw coming in the house.

DSC05395.thumb.JPG.a6adf0d7426c512f168de

This is what now appears when you enter:

P1020930.thumb.jpg.2c31b5f063c70fe0c8845

The joint has disappeared :

P1020936.thumb.JPG.f28c59ddace742810d042

The steel is held to the beams and columns with large (and one small) wing nuts I forged following Mr. Hofi's page here on  IFI. 

P1020934.thumb.JPG.56c386c447ca70aeba814

Face view.

P1020938.JPG

That's very nice Yves, I especially like the wing nuts. People deserve some juicy eye treats for looking closely, those do quite well. How happy is the customer, are they showing it off and bragging yet?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

I installed this 2 months ago. I took the pics only last evening and posted them immediately. I wanted the pics but also to find out if, after living with the "Thing", they were happy. To shorten the story, let me just say that the lady kissed my bearded cheeks when I left nd the guy tried to crush my hand. Yeah, they liked it and I must say that I liked it also when I walked in. It gives a good impression. It enhances that structure which otherwise was quite drab. I am as happy as the client.

Turbo7,

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Great work - it complements the stone work very well. Wondered if you made the bracket holding the clock too?

On second thoughts, you wouldn't have made that clock bracket because you wouldn't have left flats on the end of the scrolls.;)

On second thoughts, you wouldn't have made that clock bracket because you wouldn't have left flats on the end of the scrolls.;)

In Brittany, I saw a fence and a grille on an old house that were perfectly kept. The iron work was more than a hundred years old. The lady of the house seeing that I was looking at her grille came out to find out what I was so curious about. She told me that the forged iron was there long before  she was born and she was and probably still is (that was last year) an advanced 80 years old. The iron work was as healthy as she was. What got my attention besides the beauty of the lady's grille, was the neighbor's iron work. The lady told me that a man that came into new money, bought the house next to her's. Now this house had the same iron work. Because it was old and in need of some repairs, he decided to have it all torn down and replaced by a copy. The copy was not forged and of course, the similarity between his and the lady's iron work did not bear scrutiny. One of the details that gives the copy away is precisely the flats on the ends of the scrolls. The lady of the old house was quite disturbed with the cheap flash of money of her new neighbor. Especialy as she maintained that the iron work that was torn down was in as good a state as the one on her house.