I Forge Iron

How Do I Vent This Buffalo Forge?

MickeyMike

I acquired this Buffalo Forge, but it's missing the firebox, and I can't figure out how to properly supply it with air.  I plan on putting in a new firebox....probably from Centaur Forge.  But it would appear that there should be two air inputs...one under the firebox and one under the rear of the forge that helps vent the smoke.  It came with the pictured pipe, which has three openings.  One of the openings seems to fit the rear of the forge, but that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

A close look at 'Vent Pipe 2' indicates that the center opening might be for dumping ashes/debris, as there is a screw with what appears to be the remnants of a pivoting door attached.

I can't find any photos of the forge online in it's original setup.  If I could find one, that might tell me all I need to know.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Forge_Side View.jpg

Forge_Underneath.jpg

Buffalo Forge Insignia.jpg

Forge_Rear View.jpg

Vent Pipe 1.jpg

Pipe at Rear Opening.jpg

Vent Pipe 2.jpg

This is a downdraft forge.

The downtube that extends straight down most likely had some sort of weighted gate on it.  You could empty the particulate that would accumulate with that dump gate.

The angled opening on the elbow pipe is a fresh air gate.   The airflow would create the suction for the downdraft hood, and could recirculate the fumes coming off the firepot for better combustion.  The end of the elbow is where the blower would mounted.  Then from the blower to the  underside of your firepot.

....at least that's my guess at the arrangement.

Edited by Black Frog

A quick Google search of the forge model # = https://books.google.com/books?id=Ow5aAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA31&lpg=RA1-PA31&dq=Buffalo+%23+666G+forge'&source=bl&ots=gZTGpEzP7U&sig=luLMnyan4O8zBz9Irkel6RI790s&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HfYmVf7-OpDxoASAjoGYDQ&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Buffalo %23 666G forge'&f=false\

If that doesn't work search Buffalo #666G forge. That's what I did. There's a lot more cool stuff on the site too.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks to all for the replies...they were of great help.  I think Black Frog came the closest with the picture he found.  Although my forge is a 666(something),  it looks like 6660,  the 243E and an 843E that I found look the closest.  Thanks Frosty, for the search results.  Unfortunately, no matter which search engine I use, I can't find any good diagrams/photo's of the venting system.

Black Frog....Thanks for your best guess as the to the vent system.  A couple questions;  Do you think that I am holding the 'elbow piece' in it's correct orientation to the rear of the forge in the photo?  If so, the middle hole you describe as the fresh air gate and the open end is a 'return' to the blower?  The blower then takes that returning hot air and sends it to the firepot creating a very hot, efficient fire.  It sounds right but I can't visualize how the fires exhaust is directed towards the blower and at the same time goes up the chimney without creating a turbulence in the hood.  But I'm taking it on faith that the interior of the hood is designed to do just that.

I found a video that shows a very similar Buffalo Forge and it has an incredibly strong vertical exhaust.  It can be viewed at...

http://videos2be.com/13oShsKPE64/ANTIQUE+BUFFALO+FORGE+INDUSTRIAL+COAL+FORGE+DEMO./

Thanks again.

• 6 years later...

nickrick03, 

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma and welcome to the forum! 

this thread is older and the OP hasn’t logged on in some years, 

you might wanna look over the read this first thread, it will give you tips an tricks on how to navigate the forum,

I’m not sure what your interest is in this forge but there is tons of information to be found about Buffalo forges here on the forum if your looking for some more information! 

Also if you’ll update your location you may find that someone close to you runs or has one of these forges!