I Forge Iron

considering a Rhinoplaste (sp)

a while ago < got a damaged anvil from a scrapyard which had the horn missing, I have been looking for a suitable piece to replace it with and today I found this....

it is 79mm ( 3 1/4" ) diameter and is part of a large concrete breaker so should be tough and impact resistant, am getting the end turned to a cone which I will cut off at an angle, I will add a block to form the shelf and weld both parts on.

tomorrow I will clean up and examine the anvil and get some pictures of it.

It may take weeks to get the turning done as I will be waiting for a friend to do it

Photo0327.jpg

Photo0328.jpg

the anvil

weight as is 63kg ( about 138 lbs )

top is pitted but not too badly, some edge damage but not bad, good rebound

some markings but cant make much out

1" hardy, 3 handling holes, bottom one starts round then is square further in

will try ti get better pictures another time

will offer to anneal tool in first post next time I see my friend

more news as it happens

SAM_0513.JPG

SAM_0514.JPG

SAM_0515.JPG

SAM_0516.JPG

cleaned it up some more and there is a faint mark like an anchor at the top with the name EVESON below it and STOURBRIDGE at the bottom.

anyone know anything about EVESON?

Will do a search later but have just got in from work and have other stuff to do first

SAM_0523.JPG

Edited by the iron dwarf
adding pic

• 1 month later...

Jock over at anvil fire proposes a method where on grinds deap filets on 3 sides (yea I know its round and a thin one on top, so the top gets a thin weld wile the rest gets deap wide ones, ending in a full penitration weld. If the cone isn't of set then inreality it has one large filet from the bottom, a pain in the butt to weld up, but little grinding. May want to set the anvil face and the heal of the horn on a plate to shim it up so as the weld cools one dosn't end up with a drooping horn. 

it was annealed  before machining, estimated to be about 58 rockwell at the moment.

yes it is already cut at an angle, better pix being added now, the piece measures about 4 1/4" diameter and just under 9" long, just guessed yesterday.

intend to weld on a piece of 3/8 (10mm ) square  vertical on it and then weld both sides alternately to fill the gap with 7018 ar maybe some of the 9000 series rods I have, it should end up level on top

SAM_0609.JPG

SAM_0608.JPG

Edited by the iron dwarf
adding missing bit

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good to me.

I recently picked up an old Hill anvil in a similar condition, no horn. I can't figure out why anyone would cut the horn off but they did. And I got a good deal because of the condition. 

Anyway, I was thinking of doing pretty much the same thing that you're doing here. This gives me inspiration to give it a shot. Just need to get access to a large lathe....