I Forge Iron

Odd foot vise, anyone recognize?

Black Frog

Yep, its an odd caulking vice, the block in front for sharpening the caulks gives it away.  Not one of the more versatile designs.  But still very handy for a quick hold on things.  Never seen anything like it, sorry.

Beautiful. 

That vise is for upsetting/heading. I have one similar but it mounts to a bench. Yours is nicer in that it is free standing. Also, on mine both jaws are replaceable. 

Are the parts free? 

Edit; Both of your jaws are replaceable. The idea is the you make jaws for specific purposes and swap them out. The foot action is important when upsetting or heading because the iron cools so fast. 

Edited by arftist
add info and make correction

It's not mine, it was at a place where I picked up an anvil and I was looking at it. 

Everything is free and very nice except for the surface rust.  The owner was even standing on the foot lever with all his weight to show me how strong it was.....  I liked the design, one downside is that it takes up a lot of footprint floor space.  Cool counterweight on the pedal lever opens it up quickly.

Edited by Black Frog

• 2 months later...

Wow, that is amazing, I didn't notice on the add you put up the two different models. So it looks just like a heading vise but is somehow different. Any idea what the difference is? I have a nice old one but have never seen another like it. Mine was designed to operate mounted to a wood bench. 

Arftist, the heading vise has an adjustable stop under the work so you can upset large bolts and such without worrying about the stock slipping down in the vise jaws.  Very handy thing to have!

​So I guess my vise is a farrier tool. I am trying not to be embarrassed. (sarcasm)

Charles?