I Forge Iron

I was bored Saturday, and did some poking around on Craigslist. Saw an ad for a garage sale on Sunday that listed an anvil. I shot them an email, and got a reply back that it was the neighbor's, they thought it was 100#, and they would pass my email along. Around 10 this morning I get a call from the owner. He tells me it has Wright on it, and he thought it was around 100#. I explained to him that I was 80 miles from him, and asked if he could email me a pic, which he did while I was on the phone with him. Took a look, and asked how much? $100. I told him that I could do that , and I will be headed in to get it. On the way in I get a call asking if I was on the way because there was another guy there from Boulder City waving cash in his face. I said I am on the road now, and he told the other guy that I had first dibs, so no sale to him.  Got there, looked it over, and paid him. The garage sale had been going on since Friday, and he told me everyone looked at it,then kept walking.   Ended up yakkin with him for  4 hours as we have quite a few common interests. 

download.php?passed_id=27806&mailbox=INB

got a pic of a tiny anvil he had, great rebound.

Hmmmm, pics won't download for some reason. Cut,and paste ended up upsidedown like it was went to me.....grrrrr

Hey Biggun! That was a fruitfully boring Saturday, wasn't it? Seen the picture in the Followed me home topic - good looking PW you have there, congrats! 

I like these sort of happenings, too - although my wife not so much :). But what can you do?

Bests:

Gergely

Never seen an Anvil at a garage sale, maybe I don't live in the right place...

I find tongs and set tools everyone once in a while, few and far between.

Best I've done at a garage sale in the SF Bay Area is this....

Tongs, nippers, rivets sets and an Atha hardy that fits my oddball 7/8 Peter Wright hardy hole.

Post pics when you can.

The hole goes over the straight section of the rivet, and allows you to seat the riveted pieces tight together before peeing the opposite end. The bigger opening is actually a recessed dome to finish the rivet head with.

Michael, I grew up in Fairfield. Where in the Bay Area are you? I still know people back there that do some smithing.

Gergely, sometimes you just have to jump when an opportunity arises. I had seen several other anvils down here, but they were beat up, or way overpriced in my opinion.  The best part may be meeting the owner. We have quite a bit in common, and may be doing more together in the future.

I asked him how he came to own the anvil. He said he went to look at some woodworking equipment a guy was clearing out of a storage locker, and when he opened the door there was a lot of stuff he ended up buying besides the anvil. He probably got it for a real steal to resell it for what he did.

The whole world can't be wrong. I guess whoever made my decorative punches repurposed a rivet set as a driver. Explains the dimple pretty well. 

Could have sworn I saw the same setup in "Metalworking for Craftsmen" but I lost my copy years ago. 

Thanks folks. 

So, if I am correct, the lack of Made In England dates this to pre 1910. Any way to pin it down closer?

The edges look pretty good except for this one spot, and the dent/divot in the front.  Rings good, so it doesn't sound like any delamination. I was concerned when I looked at it closer as the divot appears to be through the top plate. I can see what appears to be an edge showing.

IMG_20150321_190715.jpg

IMG_20150321_190746.jpg

IMG_20150321_190428.jpg

IMG_20150321_190519.jpg

IMG_20150321_190554.jpg

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR